History of the D’Amore-McKim School of Business
The history of the D’Amore-McKim School of Business is deeply intertwined with the university’s, dating back to its earliest days of existence when commerce and industry courses were offered by the School of Commerce and Finance of the Boston YMCA.
The College of Business Administration (CBA) was established in 1922 and offered Northeastern’s first full-time business programs, and by 1924 the college was incorporating cooperative education into its curriculum. In 1960, all business programs offered as part of the university’s Evening Division were merged with the CBA, completing a fusion of day and evening programs of instruction. The college was accredited in 1962.
The university launched its first Master of Business Administration (MBA) program in 1951 as part of its Evening Division, and in 1958 the program became part of the Graduate School. The university’s first full-time graduate business day program was offered in 1963 as part of theGraduate School of Business Administration, which became accredited in 1973. The school launched several specialized master’s degree programs over the years, and in 2006 it began offering one of the first accredited Online MBA programs.
The Graduate School of Professional Accounting was established in 1965 when Board of Trustees member Harold Mock, a senior partner in a well-known Boston accounting firm, created awareness about the growing shortage of qualified persons entering his profession. The Masters of Science in Professional Accounting was launched at this time.
The college began to focus on ways to bring an international perspective to its students in the 1980’s. Exchange programs with other schools began, and the college started hiring its first international faculty members. By 1990, an international focus had become an integral part of the college’s identity, and in 1993 the Bachelor of Science in International Business program was introduced.
In 2012, alumni Richard D’Amore and Alan McKim joined forces to make the largest philanthropic investment in the university’s history. As a result of their combined $60 million gift, Northeastern’s College of Business Administration became the D’Amore-McKim School of Business – the first college or school to be named at Northeastern.