Adam C. Powell, PhD is President of Payer+Provider Syndicate, a management advisory and operational consulting firm focused on the managed care and healthcare delivery industries. A healthcare economist and published author, Powell's specialty as a consultant is using quantitative techniques to examine issues concerning healthcare technology, quality, and operations. His peer-reviewed research has focused on improving healthcare quality in mHealth (mobile health) and in high-cost areas of medicine, especially those subject to prior authorization. He manages the outcomes research alliance between HealthHelp and Humana. He serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR): Mental Health and the Editorial Board of the Journal of Participatory Medicine. Due to his interest in mental health, he is on the Scientific Advisory Board of PsyberGuide. He additionally is known for his expertise in global health informatics.
Powell’s teaching and research stands at the intersection between business, healthcare, and technology. At Northeastern University, he teaches courses offered by the D’Amore-McKim School of Business and the Master of Science in Health Informatics Program (jointly administered by the Bouvé College of Health Sciences and the Khoury College of Computer Sciences). Powell brings an international perspective to the classroom, as he has taught graduate-level and executive-level courses on the strategic use and management of health information technology to students at the Indian School of Business since 2013.
Powell has been featured in over two hundred articles from outlets including JAMA, CNN, Forbes, Fox, Inc., CBS News, NBC News, NPR, Reuters, U.S. News and World Report, The Advisory Board, The Christian Science Monitor, Yahoo! Finance, Becker's Hospital Review, Fierce, Healthcare Finance News, HealthLeaders Media, KevinMD, mHIMSS, Modern Healthcare, Minyanville, and Seeking Alpha.
- PhD Healthcare Management & Economics, University of Pennsylvania
- AM Healthcare Management & Economics, University of Pennsylvania
- SB Management Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- SB Writing, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Powell, A., & Torous, J. (2020). A Patient-Centered Framework for Measuring the Economic Value of the Clinical Benefits of Digital Health Apps: Theoretical Modeling. JMIR Mental Health, 7(10), e18812.
- Powell, A. C., & Glaser, J. (2020). The healthcare information technology sector. In The business of healthcare innovation (p. 435). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (UK).
- Powell, A. C., Ceylan, M., Long, J. W., Deshmukh, U. U., Loy, B., & Mirhadi, A. J. (2020). Rate of Whole-Breast Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy Before Versus After Virtual Tumor Board Implementation. JCO Oncology Practice, OP-20.
- Powell, A. C., Torous, J. B., Firth, J., & Kaufman, K. R. (2020). Generating value with mental health apps. BJPsych open, 6(2).
- Powell, A. C. (2020). Impact of the Artificial Nudge. Academic radiology, 27(1), 143-146.
- Powell, A. C., Bowman, M. B., & Harbin, H. T. (2019). Reimbursement of apps for mental health: Findings from interviews. JMIR mental health, 6(8), e14724.
- Powell, A. C., Long, J. W., Kren, E. M., Gupta, A. K., & Levin, D. C. (2019). Evaluation of a Program for Improving Advanced Imaging Interpretation. Journal of patient safety, 15(1), 69.
- Powell, A. C., Chen, M., & Thammachart, C. (2016). The Economic Benefits of Mobile Apps for Mental Health and Telepsychiatry Services When Used by Adolescents. Child and adolescent psychiatric clinics of North America, 26(1), 125-133.
- Powell, A. C., Landman, A. B., & Bates, D. W. (2014). In search of a few good apps. JAMA, 311(18), 1851-1852.
- Powell, A., Savin, S., & Savva, N. (2012). Physician workload and hospital reimbursement: Overworked physicians generate less revenue per patient. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 14(4), 512-528.
- Powell, A.C. (2020, January 30) Digital Health: Pathways to Payment. The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Powell, A.C. (2019, July 3) An Introduction to Health IT. National Healthcare Academy. Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Malé, Maldives.
- Powell, A. C. (2019, June 11) Coverage for Digital Therapeutics. Mental Health America Policy Institute, Washington, DC.
- Powell, A.C. (2019, April 29) Technology and Healthcare – Better Access and Affordability. ConnectUS, Simulcast at the United States Embassies in New Delhi, India; Malé, Maldives, and at ISB Mohali.
- Powell, A.C. (2014, May 24) Are most mHealth apps useless?: A discussion of potential solutions to common problems. The 16th Shanghai International Forum on Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Industry, Shanghai, China