- The Healthcare Professional Workforce: Understanding Human Capital in a Changing Industry (Eds. Gary Young, Northeastern University; Tim Hoff, Northeastern University; Kathleen Sutcliffe, Johns Hopkins University), Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Young, G, N. Rickles, J. Benzer, and A. Dangi. “Management of Medicare Part D Prescription Plans: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Analysis” Medical Care, 2017; 55: 37-42.
- Young, G. “Federal Tax Exemption Requirements for Joint Ventures Between Nonprofit Hospital Providers and For-Profit Entities: Form Over Substance?” Annals of Health Law, 2004; 13: 327-364.
- Zepeda, D., G. Nyaga, and G. Young. “Supply Chain Risk Management and Hospital Inventory: Effects of System Affiliation” Journal of Operations Management, 2016; 44: 30-47.
- Young, G., C. Chou, J. Alexander, S, Lee and E. Raver. “Provision of Community Benefits by Tax Exempt U.S. Hospitals” New England Journal of Medicine (Special Article), 2013; 368: 1519–1527.
- Young, G., H. Beckman and E. Baker. “Financial Incentives, Professional Values and Performance: A Study of Pay-for-Performance in a Professional Organization” Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2012; 33: 964-983.
- Young, G., N. Rickles, C. Chou and E. Raver, “Socioeconomic Characteristics of Enrollees Appear to Influence Performance Scores for Medicare Part D Contractors” Health Affairs. 2014; 33: 140 – 146.
- Oppel, E. and G. Young. “Nurse Staffing Patterns and Patient Experience with Care: An Empirical Analysis of U.S. Hospitals” Health Services Research, 2018; 53, 1799 — 1818.
- Zepeda, D., G. Nyaga, G. Young. “The Effect of Hospital-Physician Integration on Operational Performance: Evaluating Physician Employment for Cardiac Services” Decision Sciences, 2020; 51; 282 – 316.
- Paulsen, R., A. Modestino, M. Hassan, M. Alam, L. Young, G. Young. “Patterns of Buprenorphine/Nalaxone Prescribing: An Analysis of Claims Data from Massachusetts. American Journal of Drugs and Alcohol Abuse, 2020, 46: 216 – 223.
- Provision of Community Benefits by Tax-Exempt Hospitals. National Health Policy Forum. Washington, D.C., April 2013.
- Pay-for-Performance as a Strategy to Improve the Quality of Care in the US: Concepts, Evidence and Policy Implications. Hamburg Center for Health Economics, University of Hamburg, April 2014.
- Hospitals in the Post-ACA Era: Impacts and Responses. New England States Consortium Systems Organization (consortium of state policy makers focusing on health policy issues), Portsmouth, New Hampshire, October 2016.
- In Pursuit of Better Quality of Care: The U.S. Journey. Centre for Research on Health and Social Care Management, Bocconi University, March 2018.
- Performance Measurement and the Limits of Provider Accountability. keynote presentation for the annual meeting of the Italian Health Economics Association, Naples Italy, September 2018.
- Promoting COVID-19 Recovery and Future Resilience in Community-Based Healthcare Delivery Systems. Region 1 Federal Emergency Management Association COVID-19 Recovery Taskforce, May 2020.
J.D., Ph.D., State University of New York at Buffalo
Research & Teaching Interests
Research and teaching interests include strategic management, organization behavior, health care management, and health law.
Industry & Academic Experience
- Attorney, U.S. Government (served on interagency task force investigating various issues pertaining to health care industry including antitrust, tax, and fraud and abuse. 1989 – 1991.
- Senior Associate, Lewin Group, 1919 — 1993.
- Chair, Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston University, 2005 — 2010.
Services to the Profession
- Internal Revenue Service, Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT) (this is an appointment by the US Secretary of the Treasury to a congressionally mandated advisory committee to advise the IRS on policy issues. 2012 – 2015.
- National Quality Forum, member of expert panel for exploring approaches to combining cost measures with clinical quality measures to improve cost-effectiveness of care. 2014.
- The National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine, member of expert panel addressing the readiness of private-sector health care providers for threats to the public’s health and national security. 2019.
- Lown Institute Best Hospitals Metrics Advisory Committee, January 2020 – present.
- U.S. Homeland Security Agency, (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Coronavirus Disease19 Region 1 Recovery Task Force (April 2020 – present).
- Member of Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Care Quality and Effectiveness Research Study Section, 2003 — 2006.
- Pharmacy Quality Alliance, member of Quality Metrics Expert Panel. 2011 – 2015.
- Care Quality Commission (CQC — agency within the National Health Service of England, responsible for overseeing quality of care), advisor to the CQC on a strategic reorganization initiative, 2016.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Paper Award from the Health Care Management Division, Academy of Management, for paper “Patterns of Coordination and Clinical Outcomes: A Study of Surgical Services” (with M. Charns, K. Desai, J. Daley, M. Forbes and S. Khuri), sponsored by the American College of Healthcare Executives. 1997.
- Co-winner of John D. Thompson Prize for Young Investigators, sponsored by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). 1998.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Investigator Award in Health Policy Research: to develop new theory and related research on the application of the pay-for-performance concept to the healthcare industry. 2007 — 2009.
- Edgar C. Hayhow “Article of the Year” Award, American College of Healthcare Executives. For article entitled: “Impact of ACA Medicaid Expansion on Hospital Finances” (with S. Flaherty, E. Zepeda, S. Singh and S. Rosenbaum) Journal of Healthcare Management. 2020