- MBA, Babson College
- PhD Social Psychology, University of Michigan
- MA Social Psychology, University of Michigan
- BA Psychology, Northwestern University
- Hertenstein, J., Platt, M., Veryzer, R. W. (2013). What is “Good Design”?: An Investigation of the Complexity and Structure of Design. DMI Journal, 8(1), pp. 8-21.
- Platt, H., Platt, M. (2013). Risks to Auto Sector Recovery: Bankruptcies of Auto Suppliers in East Asia and the USA. Journal of Asian Business Studies, 7(3), 231-243.
- Platt, H., Platt, M., Mirick, C. (2013). Timing the Bankruptcy Decision. Journal of Bankruptcy Law, 2013(January), 62-80.
- Platt, H., Platt, M. (2012). The Boardroom Edge Against Bankruptcy. strategy + business(December 14, 2012), 1-2.
- Platt, H., Platt, M. (2012). The Relationship Between Board Composition and Bankruptcy. Journal of Business Research, Volume 65(Issue 8), Pages 1139-1143.
- Platt, Marjorie (Author Only), Hertenstein, Julie (Presenter & Author), Veryzer, Robert (Author Only), 2012 International Research Conference, “What is “Good Design?”: An Investigation of the Structure and Complexity of Design”, Design Management Institute, Boston, MA. (August 8, 2012).
- Hertenstein, Julie (Presenter & Author), Platt, Marjorie (Author Only), Dallimore, Elise J. (Author Only), Western States Communication Association Conference, “Impact of Cold-Calling on Student Voluntary Participation”, Western States Communication Association, Albuquerque, NM. (February 2012).
- Hertenstein, Julie (Author Only), Platt, Marjorie (Author Only), Dallimore, Elise J. (Presenter & Author), Western States Communication Association Conference, “Discussion Participation: Student Perceptions of Relationships Among Preparation, Participation, Comfort and Learning (Awarded Best Paper Award)”, Western States Communication Association, Monterey, CA. (February 2011).
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Platt’s current research focuses on how managers use financial and non-financial information in the process of making business decisions, particularly those that deal with new product design and development and the evaluation of design performance. In addition, she publishes and consults on the prediction of corporate bankruptcy and financial distress
Industry & Academic Experience
Platt taught at the University of Michigan and the University of Massachusetts in Boston before joining the College of Business Administration in 1982. She has also served as assistant director of Radcliffe College’s Henry Murray Research Center.
Services to the Profession
Platt is a member of the Academic Editorial Board for the Design Management Journal Academic Review. She has also served as a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Business Research from 2000 to 2003.
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient, Best Paper Award in the Communication and Institution Division of the Western States Communication Association Annual Meetings in January 2012 for her paper entitled “Impact of Cold-Calling on Student Voluntary Participation” with Elise Dallimore and Julie Hertenstein.
- Senior Research Fellow, Design Management Institute (1997 – present).
- Phi Kappa Phi (2004).