- Doctor of Law and Policy, Northeastern University
- Master in Public Administration, Harvard University
- Program on Negotiation, Mediation, and Conflict Management, Harvard Law School
- MBA, Northeastern University
- BA Philosophy, Providence College
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Lovely’s current research involves exploring the transformative capacity of assessment center methodology in predicting global leadership competency. Other research interests include ethics, social contract theory, counterinsurgency theory, conflict and conflict resolution.
Industry & Academic Experience
Dr. Lovely’s professional experience includes work in both the private and public spheres with assignments in over two-dozen countries spanning four continents. A former Marine Corps pilot and Civil Affairs/Psychological Operations Officer, he has served with the United Nations, NATO, and numerous foreign militaries. Following his career in the armed forces, he worked for six years in the commercial lending industry before returning to public service as a State Department Field Officer. He spent two years in Iraq as the reconstruction program manager in Al Anbar province and later as the U.S. Envoy to the Italian Joint Task force in Southern Iraq. He has been a consultant for the Defense Department on interagency integration and also served as a lecturer with the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College’s program on counterinsurgency.
Services to the Profession
Professor Lovely currently serves as the Deputy Director for the Assessment Center for Global Effectiveness. He also serves as the faculty representative for the Consortium for Undergraduate International Business Education (CUIBE) annual strategic business case competition that is hosted by Northeastern University. Professor Lovely served as the coach and advisor to the D’Amore-McKim School’s 2014 and 2015 CUIBE case teams.
Awards & Recognition
- CUIBE Case Competition (as Team Advisor/Coach), second place, 2014
- Recipient of the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, NATO and UN Medals