- Lungeanu, R. & Zajac, E. J. (2019). “Thinking Broad and Deep: Why some Directors exert an Outsized Influence on Strategic Change.” Organization Science 30 (3), 447-646.
- Lungeanu, R., Paruchuri, S. & Tsai, W. (2018). “Stepping Across for Social Approval: Ties to Independent Foundation’s Boards after Financial Restatements.” Strategic Management Journal, January 1-25
- Lungeanu, R. & Zajac, E. J. (2016). “Venture Capital Ownership as a Contingent Resource: How Owner/Firm Fit Influences IPO Outcomes”; Academy of Management Journal, 59(3), 930-955 (first published online in March 2015)
- Lungeanu, R., Stern, I., & Zajac, E. J. (2016). “When Do Firms Change Technology-sourcing Vehicles? The Role of Poor Innovative Performance and Financial Slack”; Strategic Management Journal, 37(5): 855-869 (first published online in March 2015)
- Lungeanu, R. & Ward, J. L. (2012). “A Governance-Based Typology of Family Foundations: the Effect of Generation Stage and Governance Structure on Family Philanthropic Activities”; Family Business Review, 25(4), 409-424.
- Lungeanu, R. “Janus-Faced Do-Gooders? A Mental Accounting Perspective on Cross-Domain Decision-Making”. In BYU/Utah Winter Strategy Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, March 2018; the Sumantra Ghoshal Conference, London Business School, London, UK, June 2018; INSEAD Behavioral Governance Conference, Fontainebleau, France, June 2017; Academy of Management Conference 2017 and Strategic Management Society 2017
- Lungeanu, R. “An Institutional Analysis of the Field of Impact Investing, 1970-2017.” In Sustainability Ethics and Entrepreneurship Conference Puerto Rico, 2017; Academy of Management Conference 2017
- Lungeanu, R. “Adaptive Thinking: Why some Directors exert an Outsized Influence on Strategic Change in New Ventures at IPO”. In INSEAD Doriot Entrepreneurship Conference, Fontainebleau, France, 2015; Academy of Management Conference 2016 and Strategic Management Society 2016
- Lungeanu, R. “Imprinted Minds: When and How do Managerial Cognitions Develop and Change?” In Academy of Management Conference 2016
- PhD., Management & Organizations, Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
- M.Sc. Strategy, BI Norwegian School of Business, Oslo, Norway
- BA, Economics, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania
Research & Teaching Interests
- Research expertise: Behavioral strategy, start-ups and IPOs, impact investing
- Teaching expertise: Entrepreneurship, technology strategy, negotiations, leadership and strategic change
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to his PhD, Professor Lungeanu served as a management consultant for Arthur Andersen, Deloitte Consulting, and KPMG. As a consultant, Professor Lungeanu’s areas of expertise include small and medium-sized enterprises in the telecommunications, oil and gas, electronics, banking, and media industries.
Services to the Profession
Professor Lungeanu is an active member of the Academy of Management and the Strategic Management Society. He serves on the editorial board of Administrative Science Quarterly and is also an ad-hoc reviewer for journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science and Strategic Management Journal. Professor Lungeanu currently serves on the STR Division’s Research Committee and previously served for the INFORMS Dissertation Competition and as a faculty mentor in the OMT Doctoral Consortium.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Paper Honorable Mention, Strategic Management Society 2017
- Best Paper, The Harold S. Geneen Institute Best Paper, International Corporate Governance Society Conference 2016
- Emerald Best Paper, European Academy of Management Conference 2012