- DBA International Business, Harvard University
- MBA Indian Institute of Management-Ahmedabad (Gold medalist)
- BSc Physics (Honors), St. Stephens College, Delhi University, India
- Ramamurti, R., Hillemann, J. (2018). What is “Chinese” about Chinese MNEs? Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 49 , No. 1.
- Govindarajan, V., Ramamurti, R. (2018). Reverse innovation in health care: How to make value-based delivery work. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Review Press.
- Govindarjan, V., Ramamurti, R. (2018). Transforming health care from the ground up. Harvard Business Review (magazine), July-August: 96-104.
- Cuervo-Cazurra, A., Ramamurti, R. (eds.) (2014). Understanding emerging market multinationals. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Govindarajan, V., Ramamurti, R. (2013). “Delivering world-class healthcare, affordably.” Harvard Business Review, November.
- Williamson, P.J., Ramamurti, R., Fleury A., Fleury, M.T. (2013). Competitive advantage of emerging market multinationals. Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Ramamurti, R. (2012). What is really different about emerging market multinationals? Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1: 41-47.
- Govindarajan, V., Ramamurti, R. (2011). “Reverse innovation, emerging markets, and global strategy.” Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 1, No.3/4: 191-205.
- Ramamurti, R. (Keynote Speaker), Reverse innovation and sustainability, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, December13, 2019
- Ramamurti, R. (Invited Speaker), Reverse innovation in health care delivery: Lessons from Emerging Markets. U. of Southern California, March 2019
- Ramamurti, R. (Keynote Speaker), Delivering world-class health care, affordably. International Healthcare Tourism Congress, Bangalore, March 2017
- Ramamurti, R. (Keynote Speaker), The future of globalization. Bogota Chamber of Commerce, and Universidad Piloto de Colombia, Bogota, Colombia, August 2017
- Ramamurti, R. (Keynote Speaker), Innovation in the BRICs, U. of Saint Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Russia, September 2017
Research & Teaching Interests
Ramamurti does research and consulting on strategy and innovation in emerging economies. His earlier work also focused on business-government relations in emerging economies. He has published several articles and books on multinationals from emerging markets and on the topic of “reverse innovation.” He teaches courses on the global business environment and global strategy, and electives on Competing in Emerging Markets.
Industry & Academic Experience
Besides Northeastern University, Ramamurti has been a visiting professor at Harvard Business School in the Business-Government-and-Competition Area (1986-1988), MIT’s Sloan School in the Strategy and International Management group (1998-2000), IMD-Switzerland (1999-2008), and the Wharton School, U. of Pennsylvania, in the Management Department (2006-07). Ramamurti founded and heads NU’s Center for Emerging Markets since 2007. Prior to joining the College of Business Administration in 1981, Ramamurti served as a consultant to the Planning Commission of the Government of India and as executive assistant to the CEO of a large engineering company. He also served as a senior adviser to the United Nations in South Korea and Bangladesh. In addition, Ramamurti has served as a consultant to firms or governments in Argentina, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Ecuador, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nicaragua, Saudi Arabia, and South Korea. He has also advised international agencies, among them the World Bank, United Nations, US Information Agency, UNCTAD, and the US Agency for International Development. He has also been a consultant to several public and private firms in the US and in emerging economies. He was Programme Advisor to The Economist on the Economist Education offering.
Services to the Profession
Ramamurti served as Secretary to the Fellows of the Academy of International Business. He served earlier as Division Chair, Program Chair, and Pre-Conference Chair for the Academy of Management’s International Management Division. He was a member and chair of the JIBS Decade Award Selection Committee and Richard N. Farmer Dissertation Award Committee. Ramamurti served several times as Chair or Member of the AIB Doctoral Consortium and the AIB Junior Faculty Consortium. Ramamurti has served as a member of several editorial boards, including the Global Strategy Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Management, and Management International Review. He is quoted frequently in the media on business issues in emerging markets and appears regularly on China Global TV, Bloomberg, etc. He serves on the board of the Associated Industries of Massachusetts’ IBC.
Awards & Recognition
- Honored as “The most outstanding thought leader on strategy and innovation in Emerging Markets in the world in 2017,” by Global Awards 2017, London (Nov 2017)
- Winner, 2017 Best Paper in Global Strategy Journal Award, Strategic Management Society (at SMS annual meeting in Houston, October 31, 2017)
- Elected Fellow, Academy of International Business, 2008