- Courtney, H. (2001). 20/20 Foresight: Crafting Strategy in an Uncertain World, Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press. (Available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean and Mandarin editions)
- Courtney, H., Lovallo, D., and Clarke, C. (2013). Deciding How to Decide. Harvard Business Review, 91(9), 62-70.
- Courtney, H., Horn, J., & Kar, J. (2009). Getting Into Your Competitor’s Head. McKinsey Quarterly, February, 129-137.
- Shapiro, D., Kirkman, B., and Courtney, H. (2007). Perceived Causes and Solutions of the Translation Problem in Management Research. Academy of Management Journal, 50(2), 249-266.
- Courtney, H., Kirkland, J., Viguerie, P. (1997). Strategy Under Uncertainty. Harvard Business Review, 75(6), 66-79.
- Courtney, H. (2015, April). Transforming Business Education Through Corporate Engagement. Presented at the AACSB International Conference and Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- Courtney, H. (2014, February). Driving Stakeholder Engagement and Impact Through Non-Degree and Lifelong Learning Initiatives. Presented at the AACSB Annual Deans Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Courtney, H. (2009, October). Real Options: Teaching Strategy for Uncertain Environments. Presented at the Strategic Management Society’s 29th Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Courtney, H., & van Eenennaam, F. (2008, October). Models and Strategic Decision-Making Under Uncertainty. Presented at the Strategic Management Society’s 28th Annual Conference, Cologne, Germany.
- Courtney, H., & Kar, J. (2007, October). When to Commit: Game-Theoretic Real Option Models and Their Application. Strategic Management Society’s 27th Annual Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Courtney, H. (2006, October). You Just Don’t Understand: Translation and the Impact of Strategic Management Research on Practice. Strategic Management Society’s 26th Annual Conference, Vienna, Austria.
- Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.A., Economics, Northwestern University
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Courtney’s teaching and research interests include: competitive strategy; applied game theory; strategic planning and decision making under uncertainty; labor market mismatch and its implications for employees and employers; the link between management research and business practice; and business education pedagogy and impact.
Industry & Academic Experience
Professor Courtney served as the Dean of the D’Amore-McKim School from 2012-17. He is the former Vice Dean and Professor of Practice at the University of Maryland’s Smith School of Business. Dr. Courtney was a member of McKinsey & Company’s Strategy Practice for nine years. He also chaired a publicly-traded telecommunications firm, and has served on three non-profit boards.
Services to the Profession
During his tenure as Dean, Professor Courtney co-led Northeastern’s “curricular flexibility” initiative designed to enable undergraduate students to explore a wider variety of academic fields. He also served as a peer reviewer for AACSB accreditation teams and presented at multiple AACSB conferences. He is the former Associate Editor of Long Range Planning and presents regularly at Strategic Management Society conferences.
Awards & Recognition
- Teaching Excellence Awards, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, every year from 2003-12
- #1 ranking for Corporate Strategy in Executive MBA programs (for the corporate strategy curriculum at the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business which Dr. Courtney designed and taught), Financial Times, 2010
- Named one of five “Up and Comers” in the consulting industry, Consulting Magazine, 2001