- Adomdza, G, Shaughnessy, Dennis, Craig, Justin, Designing and delivering international social enterprise immersion courses: Integrating Kolb’s experimental learning frame and Bloom’s taxonomy. 10th Annual NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship. (2013).
- MBA (High Technology), Northeastern University
- JD, University of Maryland School of Law
- MSW (Management), University of Michigan
- BA, Pennsylvania State University
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Shaughnessy’s teaching interests arise from more than twenty years of experience in the following areas: innovation and entrepreneurship; corporate venturing; strategic planning for globalization; mergers & acquisitions; intellectual property; compliance, governance and ethics; and corporate social responsibility. Prior to working as manager and later senior executive in both a Fortune 500 company and a successful life sciences growth company, he worked as a public servant in national government, and as a lawyer in a large corporate practice. Most recently, his work has focused in the emerging field of global social entrepreneurship, and more specifically in how business can contribute to the alleviation of poverty through innovative new “high impact” social enterprises. In addition to teaching undergraduates and graduate students, he teaches executive education in enterprise growth, mergers and acquisitions, strategic intellectual property, and management of life sciences enterprises.
Industry & Academic Experience
Professor Shaughnessy was a senior executive for many years in a local life sciences technology company, where he was a principal in numerous acquisitions, financings, and other strategic transactions, including a leveraged buy-out and initial public offering. He also has extensive experience in strategic planning, international business development, corporate governance, technology licensing, and management of technology-driven operations. Professor Shaughnessy was chief legal officer of a New York Stock Exchange company, responsible for global legal affairs. He was also in private legal practice representing venture capitalists and technology entrepreneurs, and prior to that, in public service.
Services to the Profession
Mr. Shaughnessy is an angel investor, business consultant, practicing attorney and philanthropist. He also serves or has served on Boards and advisory committees.
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient, CBA Best Teacher Award at the 2012 College of Business Administration Awards with induction into the CBA Hall of Fame
- Professor of the Year, 2005-06 and 2009-10, NU CBA
- Finalist for CBA Professor of the Year, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-2010 and 2010-11, NU CBA