Deniz Johnson is a results-driven digital transformation expert and intrapreneur with the demonstrated ability to successfully implement emerging technology and build innovative culture in established firms. Balancing strategic insight with hands-on technical knowledge, Johnson has a proven track record leading large-scale initiatives in industries including asset management, financial services, software, and healthcare across the Americas and EMEA. As a FinTech thought leader, speaker and Startup board member, Johnson is passionate about the responsible use of AI and Machine Learning (ML) in highly regulated industries to level the playing field for startups, established firms and society.
Johnson is the founder and principal at Pera-Partners, a management consulting company specializing in FinTech startup advisory, strategy implementation, FinTech adoption, digital transformation, and product/program management in financial services and software.
Previously, Johnson was a managing director at State Street Corporation’s Alternative Investment Solutions (AIS) group. She managed transformational data and digitization initiatives, specifically new product/platform development across the Hedge Fund, Real Estate and Private Equity businesses.
Johnson served as senior vice president of Shared Services at Acadian Asset Management, where she played an integral role in defining IT strategy for the firm and was responsible for modernizing IT into a strategic business function while building agile technology teams and collaborative partner networks to support business market leading growth.
Prior to joining Acadian in 2005, Johnson held leadership roles at several high-profile organizations. She oversaw a large-scale business process redesign at First Marblehead. She launched extensive multi-year ERP and CRM/BPM systems for Pegasystems, while creating the company’s first department dedicated to internal applications development. Prior to that, Johnson worked with the Mayo Clinic, where she implemented an ERP solution, developing an integrated environment combining in-house and commercially available products.
Johnson obtained her MBA from University of Iowa and has a degree in Management Engineering (Business Administration and Industrial Engineering) from Istanbul Technical University. She is a board member for Stratyfy, an explainable AI company and an advisor for Innovation Women. PMP certified, she writes and presents on bias in AI, digital transformation and emerging technologies, as well as trends in FinTech.
- MBA, University of Iowa
- BA Business Administration & BS Industrial Engineering (Management Engineering), Istanbul Technical University
- Transparency In Times of Uncertainty, June 30, 2020, (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transparency-times-uncertainty-deniz-a-johnson/)
- Sins of our past modeling our future – Diversity and bias in AI and data , Mar 8, 2020, Brandeis University (http://blogs.brandeis.edu/gps/2020/03/08/sins-of-our-past-modeling-our-future-diversity-and-bias-in-ai-and-data/)
- Fintech gender diversity and the unshifting pay chasm, Rebekah Tunstead, May 21, 2019, Bobsguide (https://www.bobsguide.com/guide/news/2019/May/21/report-fintech-gender-diversity-and-the-unshifting-pay-chasm/)
- AI – the Bias and Transparency Paradox, April 9, 2019 (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ai-bias-transparency-paradox-deniz-a-johnson-mba%2F/)
- “The Transformation”, Jun 3, 2015, PMI/PM Network Magazine (https://www.pmnetwork-digital.com/pmnetwork/june_2015?pg=26#pg26)
- “A Storybook Ending”, Jul 1, 2014, PMI/ PM Network Magazine (https://www.pmnetwork-digital.com/pmnetworkopen/201407?sub_id=WRPi2uP9FHdf&folio=1&pg=24#pg24)
Awards and Recognition
- Top 100 RegTech Influencers, Jul 2019, Onalytica – https://onalytica.com/blog/posts/regtech-top-100-influencers/