- Crittenden, Andrew B., Victoria L. Crittenden and William F. Crittenden. (forthcoming). “Industry Transformation via Channel Disruption,” Journal of Marketing Channels.
- Crittenden, Victoria L., William F. Crittenden, Joseph M. Giglio, and Andrew B. Crittenden (2017). “Surgery on the Board,” Business Horizons, 60, pp. 67-75.
- Crittenden, Andrew B., Victoria L. Crittenden and William F. Crittenden (2016). “The Tough Job of Planning Your Liquidation: Before you walk away – whether voluntarily or by force – know your businesses’ value,” Industrial Management, 58(6), pp. 15-20.
- Ross, Casey J., William F. Crittenden, and Victoria L. Crittenden (2016). “3D Printing: Big Potential, Little Adoption,” Industrial Management.58(4), pp. 12-16.
- Crittenden, Victoria and William F. Crittenden (2016). “Teaching and Learning Disrupted: Isomorphic Change,” Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 10(2), pp. 112-123.
- Crittenden, Victoria L., William F. Crittenden, Kimberly A. Eddleston, Franz W. Kellermanns, and Steven W. Floyd (2015). “Family Business: When you can’t choose your Partners,” Industrial Management, September/October, pp. 12-17.
- Crittenden, William F., Victoria L. Crittenden, and Allison Pierpont (2015). “Trade Secrets: Managerial Guidance for Competitive Advantage,” Business Horizons, 58, pp. 607-613.
- Giglio, Joseph, William F. Crittenden, and Victoria L. Crittenden (2015). “Procurement Strategy: Iron Fist or Velvet Glove?” Industrial Management, January/February, pp. 16-21.
- Crittenden, Victoria L. and William F. Crittenden (2015). “Digital and Social Media Marketing in Business Education: Implications for Student Engagement,” Journal of Marketing Education, 37(3), pp. 131-132.
- Crittenden, Victoria L. and William F. Crittenden (2015). “Digital and Social Media Marketing in Business Education: Implications for the Marketing Curriculum,” Journal of Marketing Education, 37(2), pp. 71-75.
- Crittenden, W., 2017 Winter AMA Conference, “Art & Science of Teaching for an Engaging Educational Environment,” American Marketing Association, Orlando FL. (February 2017).
- Pierpont, Allison and William F. Crittenden. (2016). Leveraging the Sports Industry to Enhance Marketing Efficacy, International Business Conference (Vilnius College and Journal of Creativity & Business Innovation), Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Crittenden, William F., 2016 Marketing Management Association Fall Educator’s Conference, “Faculty-Student Research Collaborations,” Marketing Management Association, Providence, Rhode Island. (September 2016).
- Crittenden, William F., 2015 Marketing Management Association Fall Educator’s Conference, “From Corporate to Classroom,” Marketing Management Association, San Juan Puerto Rico. (September 17, 2015).
- Crittenden, William F. and Victoria L. Crittenden. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, “Technology’s Transformative Impact: Exploring within Industries,” IEEE Computer Society, Kauai, Hawaii. (January 7, 2015).
- Crittenden, William F., Allison Pierpont and Victoria L. Crittenden. International Network of Business & Management Conference, “Strategic Assets: Trade Secrets as a Competitive Advantage,” Barcelona, Spain. (June 2014).
- Crittenden, William F. and Victoria L. Crittenden. 2013 AMA Winter Educator’s Conference, “Sustainability New Insight into an Emerging Market Orientation: Understanding Sustainability DNA,” American Marketing Association, Las Vegas, NV. (February 2013).
- PhD in Strategic Management, University of Arkansas
- MBA in Operations Management, Auburn University
- BA in Economics and Business, University of Michigan
Research & Teaching Interests
Business Strategy, Planning & Implementation; Cross-cultural issues; Global Corporate Citizenship (e.g., governance, social responsibility, ethics, sustainability, social entrepreneurship); Market Entry Strategies; Decision Making; Managing Nonprofit Organizations; Business Education; Faculty Administration & Evaluation.
Industry & Academic Experience
An advisor to various private, public, and nonprofit organizations, Professor Crittenden has worked with organizations such as BAE Systems, Boston Beer Company, Boston Management Consortium, Lotus Software (IBM), Head Start and Wal-Mart Stores. He also has worked with Funducion CANE in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior of Monterrey, Mexico.
He has international consulting and executive education experience. Bill has served in various University administrative posts, including as Senior Associate Dean & Dean of Faculty and as Dean for Graduate Business Programs. He currently serves on the advisory board of Orphans Futures Alliance (a 501 (c) 3) and as a trustee with a commercial real estate trust. He has served on the advisory board of a software start-up and as a trustee on a charitable, fraternal nonprofit.
Services to the Profession
Professor Crittenden is a member of numerous professional organizations including: the Strategic Management Society (he is a founding member) and the Academy of Management. He is a former Chair of the Public & Nonprofit Division of the Academy of Management. He has served in a variety of associate editor, guest editor and reviewer roles and currently serves on the Editorial Review Board for Business Horizons and is on the Advisory Board for Nonprofit Management & Leadership. He has authored or co-authored over sixty journal publications, a strategic planning workbook, and numerous book chapters/sections and business cases. His articles have appeared in academic outlets including Strategic Management Journal, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Journal of Business Ethics, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and practitioner outlets such as Business Horizons, Industrial Management, and Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management.
Bill has been interviewed by various media outlets including: Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg-Business Week, Boston Business Journal, Boston Globe, Rolling Stone, Fox News, WGBH, & WBUR.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected as 2016 Direct Selling Education Foundation fellow
- Voted one of Favorite Professors at Northeastern by Senior Class of 2014, Cauldron Yearbook
- Top 20 percent rank in articles published and in citations among world-wide management scholars (study conducted at Erasmus University June 2010)
- Winner, Beta Gamma Sigma Teacher of the Year, 2002
- Finalist, Beta Gamma Sigma Teacher of the Year, 2001
- Public & Nonprofit Division, Academy of Management Division Chair, 1994-95