- PhD Finance, Rutgers University
- “Social Media as Market Antennas: Dynamic Rebalancing Portfolio Models with Analyses of Inventor Sentiment” International Review of Economics and Finance 77, 1-13, 2022.
- “Portfolio models with return forecasting and transaction costs” International Review of Economics and Finance 66, 118 – 130, 2020.
- “Realized performance of robust portfolios: Worst-case Omega vs. CVaR-related models” Computers and Operations Research, 104, 239 – 255, 2019.
- “Paying Attention to Social Media Stock” International Review of Economics and Finance, 59, 106-119, 2019.
- “Does entropy model with return forecasting enhance portfolio performance?” Computers and Industrial Engineering 114, 175-182, 2017.
- “Incorporating transaction costs, weighting management, and floating required return in robust portfolios“ Computers and Industrial Engineering 109, 48–58, 2017.
- “Pricing corporate bonds and constructing credit curves in a developing country: The case of the Taiwan bond fund crisis“ International Review of Economics and Finance 50, 261–274, 2017.
- “Diversification Benefits of Risk Portfolio Models: A Case of Taiwan's Stock Market“ Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 48, 467 – 502, 2017.
- “A Linearized Value-at-risk Model with Transaction Costs and Short Selling” European Journal of Operational Research, 247, 872-878, 2015.
- “Diversified Portfolios with Different Entropy Measures” Applied Mathematics and Computation, 214, 47-63, 2014.
- “Do Investors Still Benefit from Culturally Home-biased Diversification? An Empirical Study of China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan” Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 40, 341-381, 2013.
- INFORM Annual Meeting, Oct. 2021, Anaheim, CA.
- Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Oct. 2017, Boston, MA.
- INFORM Annual Meeting, Oct. 2017, Houston, TX.
- Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Oct. 2016, Las Vegas, NV
- Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Oct. 2015, Orlando, FL
- Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Oct. 2014, Nashville, TN (3 papers)
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, May 2014, Washington, DC
- Bureau of Economic Analysis, Feb. 2014, Washington, DC
Research & Teaching Interests
Chiou's current research interests include portfolio management, international finance, financial institution management, law and finance, and risk management. He has primary teaching interests in investments, corporate finance, portfolio management, valuation and value creation, international finance, bank management, financial markets and institutions, and financial management.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining Northeastern University, professor Chiou held faculty positions at Central Michigan University. He was a banker, working on credit analyses and economic research before entering academia. He was interviewed by several media agencies, such as MarketPlace, Boston Business Journal, the Voice of America (VOA), and others for the issues of financial markets numerous times.
Services to the Profession
Chiou is an active member of the American Finance Association and the Financial Management Association. He also serves as an Associate Editor for Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies and Global Journal of Accounting and Finance.
Awards & Recognition
- Semi Finalist of Best Paper Award, Financial Management Association, 2014, 2012.
- Top 10% session, Financial Management Association, 2014, 2009, 2006.