- Aguilera, R.V., Marano, V. & Haxhi, I. International Corporate Governance: A Review and Future Research Directions. Forthcoming at Journal of International Business Studies.
- Tashman, P., Marano, V. & Kostova, T. 2019. Walking the Walk or Talking the Talk? Corporate Social Responsibility Decoupling in Emerging Market Multinationals. Journal of International Business Studies, 50(2): 153-171.
- Marano, V., Tashman, P. & Kostova, T. 2017. Escaping the Iron Cage: Liabilities of Origin and CSR Reporting of Emerging Market Multinational Enterprises. Journal of International Business Studies, 48(3): 386-408.
- Marano, V., Arregle, J.L., Hitt, M.A., Spadafora, E. & van Essen, M. 2016. Performance Consequences of Firms’ Internationalization: Meta-Analytic Evidence and Theoretical Advances. Journal of Management, 42(5): 1075-1110.
- Kostova, T., Marano, V. & Tallman, S. 2016. Headquarters-Subsidiary Relationships in MNCs: Fifty Years of Evolving Research. Journal of World Business, 51(1): 176-184.
- Marano, V. & Kostova, T. 2016. Unpacking the Institutional Complexity in Adoption of CSR Practices In Multinational Enterprises. Journal of Management Studies, 53(1): 28-54.
- Corporate Governance, Institutions and Greenwashing:A Cross-Country Comparison (Author only, with S. Flankova, M. Van Essen & R. Aguilera), International Corporate Governance Society Annual Meeting, Shanghai, China, October 2018.
- The Corporate Governance of MNCs (Author only, with R. Aguilera & I. Haxhi), International Corporate Governance Society Annual Meeting, Shanghai, China, October 2018.
- Antecedents and Consequences of International Diversification: Meta-Analytical Evidence. (Author only; E. Spadafora, T. Kostova, M. Van Essen), Strategic Management Society Annual Meeting, Paris, France, September 2018.
- Antecedents and Consequences of International Diversification: Meta-Analytical Evidence. (Author only; E. Spadafora, T. Kostova, M. Van Essen), Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 2018.
- A Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Voluntary Environmental Programs (Author only; with S. Flankova, P. Tashman, M. Van Essen), Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 2018.
- Internationalization, Blockbusters, Profits and Awards: Hollywood’s Take on Managing Conflicting Institutional Logics (with P. Tashman & J. Babin), Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, USA, July 2018.
- The Corporate Governance of MNCs (Author only, with R. Aguilera & I. Haxhi), Strategic Management Society Special Conference in Oslo, June 2018.
- The Sharing Economy and the Challenges of Internationalization (Author only, with S. Tallman & H.J. Teegen), Frontiers in International Business Conference, Sonoco Department of International Business & USC CIBER Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, February 2018.
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina, SC
- M.A., George Washington University, DC
- B.A., Università degli Studi di Roma Tre, Rome, Italy
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Marano’s research is at the intersection of international business and organization theory. She explores the practice adoption, organizational legitimacy and performance of multinational corporations from both emerging and advanced economies, and broader issues of comparative corporate governance and corporate sustainability. Her teaching interests include international strategy, international business, international management, and corporate sustainability.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining academia, Professor Marano worked for several organizations in the academic, public and nonprofit sectors on economic development issues, cross-sector partnerships and on the creation of educational initiatives.
Services to the Profession
Professor Marano serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of International Business Studies and the Journal of World Business. She also serves as ad hoc reviewer for several journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Administrative Science Quarterly, Global Strategy Journal, International Business Review, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Multinational Business Review, Organization Science, and Strategic Management Journal. She is a regular reviewer at the Academy of Management (AOM) and Academy of International Business (AIB) annual conferences.
Awards & Recognition
- 2018 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of World Business.
- 2017 Best Reviewer Award, Journal of World Business.
- 2016 Delta Zeta Teacher Appreciation, Delta Zeta’s Northeastern University Chapter, March 24, 2016.