Timothy Hoff is a Professor of Management, Healthcare Systems, and Health Policy in the D’Amore-McKim School of Business and School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs, at Northeastern University, in Boston, Massachusetts. He also is an Associate Fellow at Green-Templeton College, University at Oxford, and Associate Scholar, Said Business School, University at Oxford. He is Associate Editor of the journals Academy of Management Discoveries and Quality Management in Health Care. He has also served as the Patrick and Helen Walsh Research Professor in the D’Amore-McKim School of Business. Hoff is an award-winning author who has written extensively on the present and future U.S. health care system, health care workforce, physician behavior, health care change and innovation, and the patient experience. His research is cutting-edge and examines emerging trends and innovations in the health care marketplace.
His work has been published in the top health care and management journals, and in popular press outlets such as The Washington Post and STAT. His most recent book is Searching for the Family Doctor: Primary Care on the Brink, is published by Johns Hopkins University Press (2022). He has published three other scholarly books, over 75 peer-reviewed journal articles and obtained over one million dollars in external grant funding for his research. His health care research has won national awards from the American Sociological Association, Academy of Management, and Society for Applied Anthropology. He has been quoted extensively in a variety of media outlets including U.S. News and World Report, Medscape, Reuters, Medical Economics, and Yahoo Finance.
He is the faculty director for the undergraduate health care management and consulting concentration in the D’Amore-McKim School of Business, and the business management in health care concentration for the MBA program. Before going into academia, Hoff worked in hospital administration and as a health care consultant. This real-world experience keeps his views and research grounded in the everyday complex world of health care delivery. Hoff also engages in executive education and management consulting for health care organizations. He gives frequent talks to academics, policymakers, industry executives, and health care professionals.
- PhD Public Administration and Policy, University at Albany, SUNY
- BS Business Administration, University at Albany, SUNY
- Hoff, T. (2022). Searching for the Family Doctor: Primary Care on the Brink. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Mitra, M., Dopson, S., Hoff, T. (Forthcoming). Making Do By Getting Real: Sustainable Career Crafting Among Young Physicians. (All co-authors contributed equally) Health Care Management Review.
- Stephenson, A. L., Tietschert, M., Hoff, T., Singer, S., & D'Aunno, T. (Forthcoming). Theoretically speaking: A user's guide to theory exposition in publishing health care management research. Journal of Health Administration Education.
- Hoff, T., Lee, J. (2022) Physician Satisfaction with Telehealth: A Review and Agenda for Future Research. Early online, Feb. 7. Quality Management in Health Care. doi: 10.1097/QMH.0000000000000359.
- Hoff T. (2021). Presenting context in an AMD article: The value for illuminating a discovery. Academy of Management Discoveries. 7(3): 321-24.
- Hoff T, Lee DR, Prout K. (2021). Organizational commitment among physicians: A systematic literature review. Health Services Management Research. 34(2): 99-112.
- Hoff, T., Lee, Do Rim. (2021). Burnout and physician gender: What do we know? Medical Care. 59(8): 711-20.
- Hoff, Timothy; Lee, Do Rim The gender pay gap in medicine: A systematic review. (2021). Health Care Management Review. 46(3): E37-E49. doi: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000290.
- Hoff, T. (2021). Covid-19 and The Study of Professionals and Professional Work. Journal of Management Studies. Published February 20; https://doi.org/10.1111/joms.12694.
- Hoff, Timothy, Prout, Kathryn, Carabetta, Shannon. (2021). How Teams Impact Patient Satisfaction: A Review of the Empirical Literature, Health Care Management Review. 46(1): 75-85.
- Mullen, D., Lord, J., Stephenson, A., Hoff, T. (2022). Succeeding Together as a Health Services Researcher in a Business School. Presented at the 2022 Academy of Management Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- Hoff, T. (2021). An Update from the USA: How to Innovate During a Pandemic and Other Management Lessons. Presented at the University of Oxford Management in Medicine Lecture Series.
- Hoff, T., Lee, D.R. (2020). The Gender Pay Gap in Medicine: A Systematic Review. Paper Presented at the 2020 Academy of Management Meeting (Best Paper Proceedings).
- Mitra, M., Dopson, S., Hoff, T. (2019). Making Do By Getting Real: The Impact of Psychological Contract Violations on Physician's Early Career Agency. Paper to be presented at the 2019 Academy of Management Meeting in Boston, MA.
- Hoff, T. (2019). Are Retail Clinics an Effective Primary Disruption? Review of Their Cost, Quality, and Satisfaction. Paper to be presented in the Health Care Management Division at the 2019 Academy of Management Meeting in Boston, MA.
Research & Teaching Interests
Hoff's primary research interests are in the area of health policy and management. Specifically, he studies health care implementation; physician attitudes and behavior; the organizational and cultural aspects of health care quality and patient safety; changing modes of professionalism; and health care innovation. Hoff has taught a variety of health policy and management courses.
Industry & Academic Experience
Hoff served as an Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management at the University at Albany, State University of New York School of Public Health prior to joining the D'Amore-McKim faculty in January 2013. Previous to academia, he worked in hospital administration and health care consulting. Through his research, teaching, service, and consulting, Hoff has worked with a variety of organizations and agencies such as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Veterans Health Administration, American Cancer Society, and New York State Department of Health.
Services to the Profession
Hoff is on the editorial board of three academic publications: Medical Care Research and Review, Health Care Management Review, and Advances in Health Care Management. He is the former Division Chair of the Health Care Management Division of the Academy of Management, and serves in a variety of advisory capacities to federal health agencies and health care organizations. He is a member of the Academy of Management, Academy Health, and American Sociological Association.
Awards & Recognition
- Associate Editor, Academy of Management Discoveries
- Associate Editor, Quality Management in Health Care
- Associate Fellow, Green-Templeton College, University of Oxford
- Associate Scholar, Said Business School, University of Oxford