With well over 300 consumer electronics products and services brought to market under his direction, including several award-winning placements at Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Target stores, Stephen Golden is recognized for his ability to successfully drive consumer products from concept to shelf in mass retail channels. Armed with a background of executive marketing positions at Polaroid, Hartford Computer, Freescale Semiconductors, Wolfson Semiconductor, Aupeo! Music Services of Berlin (acquired by Panasonic), and Cambridge Sound Management, Golden has demonstrated his ability to identify winning products, cultivate them and successfully deliver them to most major retailers and many top tier brands. Leveraging his deep network of suppliers in Asia, in 2007, Golden ventured on his own, starting North River Consumer Products LLC where he is actively managing several new programs in connected multimedia electronics and audio products. Golden sits on several marketing committees and boards and has won several industry awards for his work in product development and marketing. At Northeastern, he is actively engaged in the MOSAIC Organization of student run innovation incubators in addition to his position on faculty.
- EdD, Northeastern University
- Executive Certificates in Strategic Marketing / International Marketing, Kellogg School of Business Executive Program, Northwestern University
- MBA, Suffolk University
- BS Business Administration, Stonehill College
- Parental decision-making process regarding the exposure of infants to smartphones for the first time, Proquest
- Multiple patents and applications filed in the consumer technology category
Research & Teaching Interests
Golden’s primary research interests include consumer product development in advancing technologies, consumer purchasing behaviors relative to technology products, convergence of interactive multimedia technologies in elementary education. His teaching experience covers entrepreneurship, innovation, corporate strategy, and product commercialization.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining Northeastern University, Golden has held numerous executive positions at multinational consumer products companies where he and his teams have developed and commercialized over 300 consumer products for mass retail chains. Golden has an extensive networks and experience working with manufacturers in China, Taiwan, Japan, Switzerland and Germany and in 2006 established a boutique marketing company North River Consumer Products which is focused on developing private label consumer technology products for mass retail. In 2011 Golden joined Suffolk University’s Sawyer School of Business in the entrepreneurship program where he taught for five years prior to joining Northeastern University.
Awards & Recognition
- Excellence in Teaching, Northeastern University, 2019
- Polaroid Presidents Award for Marketing Excellence; Multiple Polaroid Marketing Achievement Awards
- Polaroid Presidents Award, Digital Imaging
- Four-time winner, National Association of Packaging Design Awards for creative packaging design
- Retail Merchandising Strategies Award
- Suffolk University Alumni of the Year, Service Award 2011