- PhD Business Administration, University of California-Berkeley
- Diploma in Management, Plekhanov Institute of the National Economy, Russia
- MBA, University of Ottawa, Canada
- BA Slavic Studies, University of Ottawa
- Puffer, Sheila M., McCarthy, Daniel J., and Jaeger, Alfred M. 2015. Institution building and institutional voids: Can Poland’s experience inform Russia and Brazil? International Journal of Emerging Markets. Forthcoming.
- Stahl, Guenter, Miska, Christof, Puffer, Sheila M., and McCarthy, Daniel J. Forthcoming. Responsible global leadership in emerging markets. In Advances in Global Leadership, Joyce Osland, Ming Li, and Mark Mendenhall (eds.), Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
- Puffer, Sheila M., McCarthy, Daniel J., Gryaznova, Anna, and Boltrukevich, Vyatcheslav. 2015. The evolution of Russian business education: Developing a cross-cultural perspective. In The Routledge Companion to Cross-cultural Management. New York: Routledge, 228-237.
- McCarthy, Daniel J., Puffer, Sheila M., Graham, Loren R., and Satinsky, Daniel. 2014. Emerging innovation in emerging economies: Can institutional reforms help Russia break through its historical barriers? Thunderbird International Business Review, 56(3), 243-260.
- McCarthy, Daniel J., Puffer, Sheila M., and Michailova, Snejina. 2013. A critical view of Russia’s IPO market: A sign of success or a reason for caution? Critical Perspectives on International Business, 9(1/2), 226-242.
- Varieties of communism and risk-taking propensity of Russian entrepreneurs. Academy of Management international meetings, Vancouver, Canada, August 2015 (with E. Banalieva and D.J. McCarthy).
- Entrepreneurship in post-communist transition economies. CYRUS Institute of Knowledge conference, Harvard University, April 2015 (with D.J. McCarthy and E. Banalieva).
- The evolution of Russian business education: Developing a cross-cultural perspective. 15th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations and the Organization Knowledge Community, Berkeley, CA, February, 2015 (with D.J. McCarthy, A. Gryaznova, and V. Boltrukevich).
- Emerging market growth, 1990-2014: Can Brazil and Russia learn from Poland’s experience? The Sixth International Conference on Strategic Management in Latin America, San José, Costa Rica, January 2015 (with D.J. McCarthy and A.M. Jaeger).
- Keynote speech: Understanding the importance of favors in international business. Graduate School of Management international conference, St. Petersburg, Russia, October 2014.
Research & Teaching Interests
Puffer has research and teaching interests in international business and management and entrepreneurship, with emphasis on Russia, the Former Soviet Union, and other emerging markets.
Industry & Academic Experience
Puffer is a fellow at the Davis Center for Russian Studies at Harvard University. She has served as program director of the Gorbachev Foundation of North America at Northeastern. She worked for six years as an administrator in the Government of Canada and has consulted for a number of private and nonprofit organizations.
Services to the Profession
Puffer was the editor of The Academy of Management Executive and a member of the Academy’s Board of Governors (1999-2002). She serves on numerous editorial boards, including the Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of World Business, and European Journal of International Management. She was a track chair at the 2014 Academy of International Business meetings and has been a keynote speaker at numerous international conferences.
Awards & Recognition
- University Distinguished Professor, 2011- (the highest award for faculty, for having achieved international recognition and distinction for contributions to education and research that cross disciplinary boundaries).
- Visiting Scholar, Stanford Graduate School of Business (January-September 2015).
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Stockholm School of Economics and U of Calgary. (April 2009).
- Walsh Research Professor, Northeastern University. (2008-2010).