Research and Teaching Interests
Dr. Bhimani researches supply chain risk management and corporate social responsibility (CSR). He focuses on forced labor in corporate supply chains, human trafficking, and supply chain disruption. He has taught at multiple top-tier universities for Ph.D., MBA and undergraduate students on the subjects of supply chain sustainability, supply chain foundations, and supply chain optimization.
Industry and Academic Experience
Prior to joining academia, Dr. Bhimani held multiple positions in the global supply chain division of a leading Fortune-500 company. He has worked, researched, volunteered and taught in North America, Europe, Africa, and East Asia. Dr. Bhimani has also helped establish a supply chain start-up and consulted for the U.S. Department of Energy.
Services to the Academic and Local Communities
Dr. Bhimani regularly presents his research at leading supply chain conferences including INFORMS, POMS, and DSI. In 2019, he was awarded the title of Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy for his investment in improving the teaching practice. He volunteers his time for local community needs including Habitat for Humanity, the United Way, Junior Achievement and poverty alleviation programs. He has helped organize non-profit programs for youth education and toward building capacity for social entrepreneurship.
- Ph.D., Operations Management (Leicester)
- MA, Operations Management (Duke)
- MBA, Supply Chain Management (Tennessee)
- BSc, Supply Chain Management (Tennessee)
Awards & Recognition
- NSF Research Grant – National Science Foundation (NSF) – to combat Human Trafficking (2020 – 2023)
- Associate Fellow, U.K. – Higher Education Academy (2019)
- Research Fellow, Duke – Kenan Center for Ethics (2017)
- Bhimani, S (2019). Human Trafficking – Panelist, in INFORMS Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, November.
- Bhimani, S (2019). How Supply Chains Break, in POMS Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., May.
- Bhimani, S (2018). How Supply Chains Break, in Decisions Sciences Institute, Chicago, IL., November.
- Bhimani, S. (2016). Understanding Human Trafficking. Grad X, Ted Style talks, Durham, NC, May.