- PhD Strategy, University of Michigan, Ross School of Business
- MA Applied Economics, University of Michigan
- EdM Education, Harvard University
- BS Electrical Engineering, Cornell University
Research & Teaching Interests
Karim’s research focuses on acquisitions and alliances, corporate restructuring and organization design, and innovation through reconfiguration and redeployment of resources and activities. Her teaching is in the areas of corporate and global strategies, innovation strategies for established firms, and competitive strategy.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining Northeastern University, Karim taught at Boston University’s Strategy & Innovation Department for thirteen years. Earlier in her career, she worked as an R&D software engineer with Hewlett-Packard’s medical products group.
Services to the Profession
- Deputy Editor, Organization Science (2020-Present)
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal (2014-2020)
- Senior Editor, Journal of Organization Design (2013-2017)
- Leadership, Strategic Management Division, Academy of Management (2016-2021)
- Leadership, Competitive Strategy Interest Group, Strategic Management Society (2014-2016)
- Board Member, CCC, Consortium on Competitiveness and Cooperation (2016-Present)
- Conferences Organized: CRS (2017, 2018); ODC (2014); CCC (2013, 2014); BPS Doctoral Consortium (2011, 2012); SRF (2011)
- Xiao, Ting, Mona Makhija and Samina Karim (forthcoming). “A knowledge recombination perspective of innovation: Review and new research directions.” Journal of Management (Review Issue)
- Lee, Chi-Hyon, Manuela Hoehn-Weiss and Samina Karim (forthcoming). “Competing both ways: How combining Porter’s low-cost and focus strategies hurts firm performance.” Strategic Management Journal (available in online preview, DOI: 10.1002/smj.3279).
- Girod, Stéphane J.G. and Samina Karim (2017). “Restructure or reconfigure? Designing the reorg that works for you.” Harvard Business Review 95(2): 128-132.
- Hoehn-Weiss, Manuela, Samina Karim and Chi-Hyon Lee (2017). “Examining alliance portfolios beyond the dyads: The relevance of redundancy and nonuniformity across and between partners.“ Organization Science 28(1): 56-73.
- Folta, Timothy B., Constance E. Helfat and Samina Karim (2016). “Examining resource redeployment in multi-business firms.” Advances in Strategic Management 35: 1-17.
- Karim, Samina, Timothy N. Carroll and Chris P. Long (2016). “Delaying change: Examining how industry and managerial turbulence impact structural realignment.” Academy of Management Journal 59(3): 791-817.
- Lee, Chi-Hyon, Manuela Hoehn-Weiss and Samina Karim (2016). “Grouping interdependent tasks: Using spectral graph partitioning to study complex systems.” Strategic Management Journal 37(1): 177-191.
- Karim, Samina and Lawrence Capron (2016). “Reconfiguration: Adding, redeploying, recombining and divesting resources and business units.” Strategic Management Journal 37(13): E54-E62.
- Dobrajska, Magdalena, Stephan Billinger and Samina Karim (2015). “Delegation within hierarchies: How information processing and knowledge characteristics influence the allocation of formal and real decision authority.” Organization Science 26(3): 687-704.
- Karim, Samina and Aseem Kaul (2015). “Structural recombination and innovation: Unlocking internal knowledge synergy through structural change.” Organization Science 26(2): 439-455.
- University of Texas – Austin (Austin, TX). Nov 2019
- Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY). Sep 2019
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Madrid, Spain). May 2019
- University of Pennsylvania (Wharton, Philadelphia, PA). May 2019
- University of Southern Denmark (Odense, Denmark). Apr 2019
- HEC Lausanne & Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (Lausanne, Switzerland). Mar 2019
- HEC Paris (Paris, France). Feb 2019
- Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN). Oct 2018
- University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia). Oct 2018
- Melbourne Business School (Melbourne, Australia). Oct 2018
- IESE Business School (Barcelona, Spain). Jun 2018
- London Business School (London, UK). Feb 2018
- Copenhagen Business School (Copenhagen, Denmark). Apr 2017
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, North Carolina). Mar 2017
- Politecnico di Milano (Milan, Italy). Jun 2016
- George Washington University (Washington D.C.). Apr 2016
- Oregon State University (Corvallis, Oregon). Apr 2016
- INSEAD (Fontainebleau, France). Jun 2015
- BI Norwegian Business School (Oslo, Norway). May 2015
- University of California at Irvine (Irvine, CA). Feb 2015
- Harvard University (Cambridge, MA). Dec 2014
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Champaign, IL). Nov 2014
Awards & Recognition
- Favorite Professor, Poets & Quants “The Top MBAs Name Their Favorite Business School Professors” (2015)
- Best Conference Paper Prize Nominee, Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (2014)
- Professor of the Year Award (MBA Cohort A), Boston University Questrom School of Business (2013)
- Faculty Graduate Commencement Speaker, Boston University Questrom School of Business (2013)