- Girod, Stéphane J.G. and Samina Karim (2017). “Restructure or reconfigure? Designing the reorg that works for you.” Harvard Business Review (March-April): 128-132
- Hoehn-Weiss, Manuela, Samina Karim and Chi-Hyon Lee (2017). “Examining alliance portfolios beyond the dyads: The relevance of redundancy and nonuniformity across and between partners.“ Organization Science 28(1): 56-73.
- Folta, Timothy B., Constance E. Helfat and Samina Karim (2016). “Examining resource redeployment in multi-business firms.” Advances in Strategic Management 35: 1-17.
- Karim, Samina, Timothy N. Carroll and Chris P. Long (2016). “Delaying change: Examining how industry and managerial turbulence impact structural realignment.” Academy of Management Journal 59(3): 791-817.
- Lee, Chi-Hyon, Manuela Hoehn-Weiss and Samina Karim (2016). “Grouping interdependent tasks: Using spectral graph partitioning to study complex systems.” Strategic Management Journal 37(1): 177-191.
- Dobrajska, Magda, Stephan Billinger and Samina Karim (2015). “Delegation within hierarchies: How information processing and knowledge characteristics influence the allocation of formal and real decision authority.” Organization Science 26(3): 687-704.
- Karim, Samina and Aseem Kaul (2015). “Structural recombination and innovation: Unlocking internal knowledge synergy through structural change.” Organization Science 26(2): 439-455.
- Karim, Samina and Lawrence Capron (2015). “Reconfiguration: Adding, redeploying, recombining, and divesting resources and business units.” Strategic Management Journal 37(13): Introduction. [Virtual Special Issue DOI: 10:1002/smj.2537.
- Hoehn-Weiss, Manuela and Samina Karim (2014). “Unpacking functional alliance portfolios: How signals of venture viability affect new-venture outcome.” Strategic Management Journal 35(9): 1364-1385.
- IESE Business School, seminar (Barcelona, Spain) (Jun 2018)
- London Business School, seminar (London, UK) (Feb 2018)
- Copenhagen Business School, seminar (Copenhagen, Denmark) (Apr 2017)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, seminar (Chapel Hill, North Carolina) (Mar 2017)
- Politecnico di Milano, seminar (Milan, Italy) (Jun 2016)
- George Washington University, seminar (Washington D.C.) (Apr 2016)
- Oregon State University, seminar (Corvallis, Oregon) (Apr 2016)
- INSEAD, seminar (Fontainebleau, France) (Jun 2015)
- BI Norwegian Business School, seminar (Oslo, Norway) (May 2015)
- University of California at Irvine, seminar (Irvine, CA) (Feb 2015)
- Harvard University, seminar (Cambridge, MA) (Dec 2014)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, seminar (Champaign, IL)(Nov 2014)
- Ph.D., Corporate Strategy, University of Michigan, Ross School of Business
- M.A., Applied Economics, University of Michigan
- Ed.M., Education, Harvard University
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Cornell University
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Karim’s research focuses on acquisitions and alliances, corporate restructuring and organization design, and innovation through reconfiguration and redeployment of resources and activities. Her teaching is in the areas of corporate and global strategies, innovation strategies for established firms, and competitive strategy.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining Northeastern University, Prof. Karim taught at Boston University’s Strategy & Innovation Department for thirteen years. Earlier in her career, she worked as an R&D software engineer with Hewlett-Packard’s medical products group.
Services to the Profession
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal (2014-Present)
- Senior Editor, Journal of Organization Design (2013-2017)
- Leadership, Strategic Management Division, Academy of Management (2016-2021)
- Leadership, Competitive Strategy Interest Group, Strategic Management Society (2014-2016)
- Board Member, Consortium for Cooperation and Competition (2016-Present)
- Conferences Organized: CRS (2017, 2018); ODC (2014); CCC (2013, 2014); BPS Doctoral Consortium (2011, 2012); SRF (2011)
Awards & Recognition
- Favorite Professor, Poets & Quants “The Top MBAs Name Their Favorite Business School Professors”, (2015)
- Best Conference Paper Prize Nominee, Strategic Management Society Annual Conference (2014)
- Professor of the Year Award (MBA Cohort A), Boston University Questrom School of Business (2013)
- Faculty Graduate Commencement Speaker, Boston University Questrom School of Business (2013)