- PhD Strategy, University of Michigan, Ross School of Business
- MA Applied Economics, University of Michigan
- EdM Education, Harvard University
- BS Electrical Engineering, Cornell University
Research & Teaching Interests
Karim's research focuses on acquisitions and alliances, corporate restructuring and organization design, and innovation through reconfiguration and redeployment of resources and activities. Her teaching is in the areas of corporate and global strategies, innovation strategies for established firms, and competitive strategy.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining Northeastern University, Karim taught at Boston University's Strategy & Innovation Department for thirteen years. Earlier in her career, she worked as an R&D software engineer with Hewlett-Packard's medical products group.
Services to the Profession
- Deputy Editor, Organization Science (2020-Present)
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal (2014-2020)
- Senior Editor, Journal of Organization Design (2013-2017)
- Division Chair 2020, Strategic Management Division, Academy of Management (leadership 2016-2021)
- IG Chair 2016, Competitive Strategy Interest Group, Strategic Management Society (leadership 2014-2016)
- Board Member, CCC, Consortium on Competitiveness and Cooperation (2016-Present)
- Conferences Organized: CRS (2017, 2018); ODC (2014); CCC (2013, 2014); BPS Doctoral Consortium (2011, 2012); SRF (2011)
- Task and resource bottlenecks: A holistic examination of task systems through an organization design lens
Samina Karim, Lee, C., Hoehn-Weiss, M.
Strategic Management Journal
- The power of modularity today: 20 years of “Design Rules”
Brusoni, S., Henkel, J., Jacobides, M.G., Samina Karim, MacCormack, A., Puranam, P., Schilling, M.
Industrial and Corporate Change
- A knowledge recombination perspective of innovation: Review and new research directions
Xiao, T., Makhija, M., Samina Karim
Journal of Management
- Competing both ways: How combining Porter's low-cost and focus strategies hurts firm performance
Lee, C., Hoehn-Weiss, M., Samina Karim
Strategic Management Journal
- University of Texas – Austin (Austin, TX). Nov 2022
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA). Oct 2022.
- University of Colorado (Boulder, CO). Oct 2022.
- University of Texas – Austin (Austin, TX). Nov 2019.
- Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY). Sep 2019.
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Madrid, Spain). May 2019.
- University of Pennsylvania (Wharton, Philadelphia, PA). May 2019.
- University of Southern Denmark (Odense, Denmark). Apr 2019.
- HEC Lausanne & Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (Lausanne, Switzerland). Mar 2019.
- HEC Paris (Paris, France). Feb 2019.
Awards, Grants, and Other Honors
- Samina Karim: President (2023-2026) of CCC (Consortium on Competitiveness and Cooperation)
- Samina Karim: Division Chair (2020) of the Strategic Management Division, Academy of Management
- Organization Science: Samina Karim, Deputy Editor
- Strategic Management Journal: Samina Karim, Editorial Board Member
- Strategic Organization: Samina Karim, Editorial Board Member
- Strategy Science: Samina Karim, Editorial Board Member