- PhD Finance, The Ohio State University
- MBA Finance, Case Western Reserve University
- BBA Accounting, Kent State University
- Hostile Resistance to Hedge Fund Activism with Pegaret Pichler, 2019, Review of Financial Studies 32(2), 771-817.
- Activism Mergers, with Nickolay Gantchev and Anil Shivdasani, 2017, Journal of Financial Economics 126, 54-73.
- Why Don’t all Banks Practice Regulatory Arbitrage? Evidence from Usage of Trust Preferred Securities, 2016, with Rüdiger Fahlenbrach and René M. Stulz, Review of Financial Studies 29(7), 1821-1859.
- Hedge Fund Contagion and Liquidity Shocks, 2010, with René M. Stulz and Christof W. Stahel, Journal of Finance 65(5), 1789-1816.
- Hedge Funds for Retail Investors? An Examination of Hedged Mutual Funds, 2009, with Vikas Agarwal and Narayan Naik, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 44(2), 273-305.
- 2020: American Finance Association Annual Meeting (discussant), CFA Florida Ethics Challenge (judge), Regulation Best Interest Policy Series (panelist), Democratize Quant (panelist), Midwest Finance Association (presenter)
- 2019: Villanova University seminar series, Northeastern University Finance Group Advisory Board, University of Oregon Summer Finance Conference, Wealth/Stack (panel), Brandeis University brown bag seminar, AIM Investment Conference at University of Texas, Northfield Information Services 31st Annual Conference in Washington DC, Florida State University seminar series, SmartBe Disruptive Smart Beta Conference at Lake Louise
- 2018: Harvard Law, Economics, and Organization seminar series, University of Connecticut Financial Risk Conference: Advances in Investments and Pensions Research, Keynote Speaker at Global ARC 2018 Conference, University of Berkeley Law School seminar series, Georgia State University seminar series, University of Washington seminar series
- 2017: North Carolina State seminar series, Analysis Group, Southern Finance Association
- 2016: European Finance Association conference, Oxford University Conference on Corporate Reputation
- 2015: UCSD Future Directions in Hedge Fund Research Conference, FMA conference, Humboldt University and ESMT Asset Management Conference, Yale Program on Financial Stability, Cleveland Federal Reserve Board, ASSA
Research & Teaching Interests
Boyson’s research and teaching interests fall in the area of investments and corporate finance, with a focus on regulatory arbitrage, hedge fund management, and hedge fund activism.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining the D’Amore-McKim faculty in 2004, Boyson was an Assistant Professor at Purdue University. Prior to joining Purdue, Boyson was a manager for Ernst & Young, the VP of Investments for Pension Consulting Services, an analyst for Third Federal Savings and Loan, and a senior accounting at KPMG Peat Marwick.
Services to the Profession
A Certified Public Accountant, Boyson serves on the Editorial Board of the Financial Analysts Journal, has served on the board of the Midwest Finance Association, has been a member of numerous program committees of professional organizations, and acts as an ad-hoc referee for journals including The Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Economics, and The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
Awards & Recognition
- D’Amore-McKim Best Teacher Award 2016.
- Finalist for Best Paper in Corporate Finance, FMA, 2014.