- Banalieva, E., Athanassiou, N. (2010). Regional and Global Alliance Networks of Triad MNEs: A Social Networks Theory Perspective. Multinational Business Review.
- Peterson, M. F., Thompson, S. J., Althouse, N., Athanassiou, N., Curri, G., Konopaske, R., Lenartowicz, T., Meckler, M. R., Mendenhall, M. E., Mogaji, A., Rowney, J. I. A. (2010). “Social structures and personal values that predict e-mail use: An international comparative study.” Journal of Global Information Management, 18(2): pp. 57-84.
- Martha, Maznevski (Presenter & Author), Celia, Chui (Presenter & Author), Athanassiou, Nicholas (Presenter & Author), Daniel, Waeger (Presenter & Author), Annual Meeting, “Cultural distance, turbulence, and friction: Advancing the constructs in cross-border knowledge transfer”, Academy of Management, Orlando, FL. (August 12, 2013).
- Bird, Allan (Presenter Only), Athanassiou, Nicholas, CUIBE Annual Meeting, “The BSIB program at Northeastern University”, Consortium for Undergraduate International Business Education, Boise, ID. (February 8, 2013).
- Athanassiou, Nicholas, AACSB Associate Deans Meeting, “The DMSB Bachelor of Science in International Business Program”, AACSB, Houston, Texas. (November 2012).
- Athanassiou, Nicholas (Presenter & Author), Robles, Fernando (Presenter & Author), Ito, Kiyohiko (Presenter & Author), Rose, German (Presenter & Author), Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, “International Business programs as a means to internationalize the business school”, Academy of International Business, Washington, DC. (July 2012).
- PhD, International Business and Strategy, University of South Carolina
- MBA, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- BS, Naval Academy of Greece
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Athanassiou research interests are (1) in international business strategy with a focus on the international business capabilities of top management teams, (2) on global innovation processes, and (3) on knowledge acquisition and transfer issues.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining the D’Amore-McKim School of Business faculty, Professor Athanassiou served as a visiting professor at the University of South Carolina and a lecturer at the University of Maryland’s International Business Management Institute in Tokyo. Professor Athanassiou has held a number of senior executive positions in the United States, Japan, Europe, and the Middle East with PepsiCo, Kentucky Fried Chicken International, and Heublein, Inc.
Services to the Profession
Professor Athanassiou has been the Academic Director of the school’s Bachelor of Science in International Business since 2003, the Master of Science in International Management since 2006, and the Master of International Management since 2010. Since 2012 he serves as the Program Chair for the International Partnership of Business Schools joint Master of Science in International Management (www.ipbsmim.com). He served as International Business and Strategy Group Coordinator for the D’Amore-McKim School of Business since 2005, stepping down in 2014. Professor Athanassiou has served as guest editor of Management International Review in 2006. For several years he organized the Professional Development Workshop “Introduction to Social Networks” in collaboration with David Krackhardt, Carnegie-Mellon University, Dan Brass, U. of Kentucky and Steven Borgatti, U. of Kentucky. Professor Athanassiou is a member of the Academy of International Business, the Academy of Management, the Strategic Management Society, and The Institute of Management Sciences.
Awards & Recognition
Professor Athanassiou was named Academic Coordinator and Program Director of the school’s Bachelor of Science in International Business program in 2003.
Joseph G. Riesman Research Professorship, CBA. (2000).