- “Battle of the Brand Fans: Impact of brand Attack and Defense on social media”, with Behice Ece Ilhan and Raoul Kubler, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2018, forthcoming.
- “Improving Consumer Mind-Set Metrics and Shareholder Value through Social Media: The Different Roles of Owned and Earned”, with A. Colicev, A. A. Malshe, P. O’Connor, Journal of Marketing, 82(1), 2018, 37-56.
- “Pricing Best Sellers and Traffic Generators: The Role of Asymmetric Cross-selling” with Cenk Kocas, and Jonathan D. Bohlmann. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 41, 2018, 28-43.
- “A marketing perspective on business models.” with Gatignon, Hubert, Xavier Lecocq, and Alina Sorescu. AMS Review, December, 7 (3-4), 2017, 85-89.
- “Combining big data and lean startup methods for business model evolution” with Steven Seggie, and Emre Soyer, AMS Review, December, 7 (3-4), 2017, 154-169.
- “Demonstrating the Value of Marketing”, with Dominique M. Hanssens, Journal of Marketing, 80 (6), 2016,173-190.
- “Like the ad or the brand? Marketing stimulates different electronic word-of-mouth content to drive online and offline performance.” with Zeynep Aksehirli and Andrew Lackman, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33 (3), 2016, 639-655.
- “The effectiveness of different forms of online advertising for purchase conversion in a multiple-channel attribution framework.” with Evert de Haan and Thorsten Wiesel, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33(3), 2016, 491-507.
- “No Comment?! The Drivers of Reactions to Online Posts in Professional Groups.” with Robert Rooderkerk, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 35 , 2016, 1-15.
- “The Impact of Brand Familiarity on Online and Offline Media Synergy”, with Ceren Demirci, Gokhan Yildirim and Shuba Srinivasan, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33(4), 2016, 739-753.
- “Selecting Predictive Metrics for Marketing Dashboards-An Analytical Approach.” with Amit Joshi, Journal of Marketing Behavior, 2.2–3, 2016, 195-224.
- “Do Display Ads Influence Search? Attribution and Dynamics in Online Advertising” with Pavel Kireyev and Sunil Gupta, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33(3), 2016, 475-490.
- “Fanning the Flames? How Media Coverage of a Price War Impacts Retailers, Consumers and Investors,” with Harald van Heerde and Els Gijsbrechts, Journal of Marketing Research, 52(5), 2015, 674-693.
- “The hare and the tortoise: do earlier adopters of online channels purchase more?” with Jing Li, Umut Konuş and Fred Langerak, Journal of Retailing, 91(2), 2015, 289-308.
- “Paths to and off purchase: quantifying the impact of traditional marketing and online consumer activity”, with Shuba Srinivasan and Oliver Rutz, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2015, 1-14.
- “Building with Bricks and Mortar: The Revenue Impact of Opening Physical Stores in a Multichannel Environment”, with Scott Neslin, Journal of Retailing, 91 (2), 2015, 182-197. Winner of the 2017 Davidson Best Paper Award.
- “The Formation, Evolution and Replacement of Price-Quality Relationships”, with Richard D’Aveni, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, October, 2014, 1-20.
- “How Online Consumer Segments Differ in Long-term Marketing Effectiveness”, with Oliver Rutz and Kerstin Reimer, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 28 (4), 2014, 271-284.
- “Consumer Attitude Metrics For Guiding Marketing Mix Decisions”, with Dominique M. Hanssens, Shuba Srinivasan, Marc Vanhuele and Gokhan Yildirim, Marketing Science, 33 (4), July-August, 2014, 534-550.
- PhD in Marketing, UCLA
- MS in Marketing, Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
- BA in Commercial Engineering, LUC (Belgium)
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Pauwels’ research is at the interface of marketing productivity, metrics and social media. Through time series econometrics, he quantifies how marketing actions affect offline and online consumer behavior, and how these in turn lift company performance. Prof. Pauwels is a worldwide expert in modeling such long-term effects of advertising, pricing and channel changes, and product innovation. His work has appeared in journals such as Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science and Management Science. He teaches Marketing Performance at the masters and undergraduate levels.
Industry & Academic Experience
Serving on the advisory board of several startups and of GfK Digital Council, Professor Pauwels consulted companies across 3 continents, including Amazon, Credit Europe, Inofec, Heinz, Kayak, Knewton, Kraft, Marks & Spencer, Nissan, Sony, Tetrapak and Unilever. Fresh out of college, he managed the Telework startup to employ physically challenged graduates of Belgium’s IGL. Before joining Northeastern University, Professor Pauwels served as Professor of Marketing at Ozyegin University, a startup university in Istanbul, Turkey, and received tenure at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth.
Services to the Profession
Professor Pauwels is Senior Editor at the International Journal of Research in Marketing and serves on the editorial board of several US marketing journals. He serves on the American Marketing Association’s Academic council, organized the 2013 Marketing Science Conference and is the founder of the annual Marketing Dynamics conference, which brings together marketing modelers since 2004. Professor Koen Pauwels published for managers the book ‘It’s Not the Size of the Data, It’s How You Use it’–tools, videos, podcasts and slides are available here. For researchers, Prof Pauwels co-authored both books on Marketing Models and is Senior Editor at the International Journal of Research in Marketing
Awards & Recognition
- Chosen “Top 100 Inspirational Alumnus” out of 37,000 UCLA graduates
- 2007 William F. O’Dell Award for the 2002 Journal of Marketing Research paper that ‘made significant, long-run contribution to marketing”
- 2009, 2013 and 2017 Davidson awards for the best paper in the Journal of Retailing
- Emerald Management Reviews Citations of Excellence in 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2014
- 2009 Varadarajan Award for Early Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy Research
- 2011 Best Paper Award for Syntec (the French professional association of consultants) in Marketing and Decision Sciences