Koen Pauwels is Distinguished Professor of Marketing at Northeastern University, Boston and co-director of its Digital, Analytics, Technology and Automation (DATA) Initiative.
Pauwels is the Senior Editor for the Journal of Marketing and the International Journal of Research in Marketing, President-Elect of the Academic Council of the American Marketing Association, and Vice President of Practice at the INFORMS Association for Marketing Science. He serves on the House of Marketing’s Board and on the Editorial Boards of Journal of Retailing and Journal of Interactive Marketing. Pauwels started the annual Marketing Dynamics conference (2004) to bring together researchers fascinated by dynamic problems in marketing.
Pauwels consulted large and small companies across three continents, including Amazon, Heinz, Kayak, Kraft, Marks & Spencer, Microsoft, Nissan, Sony, Tetrapak and Unilever. Typical projects include evaluating and improving marketing effectiveness, designing and interpreting field experiments, combining attribution with marketing mix modeling, integrating online with offline marketing and metrics, increasing long-term brand equity and assessing and renovating business models. He regularly blogs and tweets on return on marketing investment as @profpauwels.
Pauwels received his Ph.D. from UCLA, where he was chosen “Top 100 Inspirational Alumnus” out of 37,000 graduates. After getting tenure at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth (2001-2008), Pauwels helped build the startup Ozyegin University in Istanbul (2008-2017) and was visiting scholar at Harvard Business School in 2016.
Pauwels' books include ‘Modeling Markets' and ‘Advanced Methods for Modeling Markets' for researchers and “It's Not the Size of the Data – It's How You Use It: Smarter Marketing with Analytics and Dashboards” for managers (http://notsizedata.com/).
Pauwels published over 70 articles on marketing effectiveness, awarded by both managers and academics and all available at marketingandmetrics.com. Publications outlets include Journal of Marketing, Management Science, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Harvard Business Review and Sloan Management Review.
Awards & Recognition
- Winner of the ‘07 William F. O'Dell Award for the paper “that made significant, long-run contribution to marketing theory, and/or methodology, and/or practice” (for the 2002 Journal of Marketing Research paper)
- Winner of the 2017-2018 Gary Lilien MSI-ISMS Practice Prize for ‘outstanding implementation of marketing science concepts and methods.”
- Winner of the 2009, 2013 and 2017 Davidson Award for best paper in the Journal of Retailing.
- Winner of the ‘09 Varadarajan Award for Early Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy Research.
- Winner of the 2011 Best Paper Award of Syntec (the French professional association of consultants) in Marketing and Decision Sciences.
- Winner or the 2014 Best Paper Award of the Marketing Science Institute
- Emerald Management Reviews Citation of Excellence 2008, 2009, 2016.