- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- PGDM, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
- BSc (Hon), Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Huang, L., & Kale, J. R. (2013). Product market linkages, manager quality, and mutual fund performance. Review of Finance, 17(6), 1895-1946.
- Kale, J. R., Meneghetti, C., & Shahrur, H. (2013). Contracting with Nonfinancial Stakeholders and Corporate Capital Structure: The Case of Product Warranties. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48(03), 699-727.
- Hu, P., Kale, J. R., Pagani, M., & Subramanian, A. (2011). Fund flows, performance, managerial career concerns, and risk taking. Management Science, 57(4), 628-646.
- Kale, J. R., Reis, E., & Venkateswaran, A. (2009). Rank‐Order Tournaments and Incentive Alignment: The Effect on Firm Performance. The Journal of Finance, 64(3), 1479-1512.
- Kale, J. R., & Shahrur, H. (2007). Corporate capital structure and the characteristics of suppliers and customers. Journal of Financial Economics, 83(2), 321-365.
- Finance Cavalcade, Society of Financial Studies, 2011, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Financial Intermediation Research Society Conference, 2011, Sydney, Australia
- European Finance Association, 2011, Stockholm, Sweden
- Challenges of Corporate Governance Conference, 2013, University of Bath, U.K.
- NSE-NYU Conference on Indian Capital Markets, July 2013, Mumbai, India
Research & Teaching Interests
Kale’s research is on topics in corporate finance and mutual fund investing. His recent research in these areas examines the role of product market considerations and agent incentives in the financial policies of corporations and the investment decisions of mutual funds. He has taught undergraduate, MBA, and PhD course in Corporate Finance and undergraduate and MBA courses in International Finance.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining the faculty at Northeastern, Kale was the H. Talmage Dobbs, Jr. Chair and Professor of Finance at Georgia State University’s J. Mack Robinson College of Business. He has also taught at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, Indian School of Business, and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore).
Awards & Recognition
Kale has received Best Paper awards at numerous conferences. He was named University Distinguished Professor and was the recipient of the Sparks Award at Georgia State University.