James Dana holds a joint appointment with the College of Social Sciences and Humanities as a professor of economics and strategy.
- PhD Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BA Economics, Yale University
- “Price Discrimination on Booking Time,” (with Baris Ata), International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 43, November 2015, pp. 175-181.
- “Do Bundling, Tying and Other Purchase Restraints Increase Product Quality,” (with Kathryn Spier), International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 43, November 2015, pp. 142-147.
- “Revenue Management by Sequential Screening,” (with Mustafa Akan and Baris Ata), Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 159, Part B, September 2015, pp. 728-774.
- “Internet Penetration and Capacity Utilization in the Airline Industry,” (with Eugene Orlov), American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2014, pp. 106-137.
- “When is Price Discrimination Profitable?” (with Eric Anderson), Management Science, 2009, June, Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 980-989.
- World Congress of the Econometric Society, Montreal, Canada, 2015, “Bundling and Quality Assurance”
- Wharton Workshop on Empirical Research in Operations Management, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2014, “Pricing and Demand Uncertainty in the Newsvendor Model: Evidence from the Newsstand”
- European Association for Research in Industrial Economics (EARIE), Milan, Italy, September 2014, Invited Speaker, “Screening on Time of Purchase” (presentation of both Price Discrimination on Booking Time; and Revenue Management and Sequential Screening)
- “Revenue Management and Sequential Screening”, Yale University, November 2014
Research & Teaching Interests
Dana’s research is in industrial organization, competitive strategy, applied game theory, and operations management, with emphasis on pricing strategy and revenue management.
Industry & Academic Experience
Dana holds a joint appointment in Northeastern University’s Department of Economics, College of Arts and Sciences, and the D’Amore-McKim School of Business. He has taught at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, the University of Chicago’s Graduate School of Business, and Dartmouth College.
Services to the Profession
Dana is an associate editor of the International Journal of Industrial Organization, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, and the Journal of Industrial Economics.