- PhD Strategy and International Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MA Regional Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BA Economics, University of Chile
Research & Teaching Interests
Suarez’s widely cited research spans the areas of innovation and technology strategy, entry timing strategies, standards & dominant designs, industry evolution, categorical dynamics, platform competition, and the role of services in product firms. His publications have appeared in leading journals such as the Academy of Management Journal, Management Science, Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Research Policy, Journal of Management, Industrial & Corporate Change, Operations Research, as well as other top practitioner-oriented publications such as Harvard Business Review and MIT Sloan Management Review.
Industry & Academic Experience
Suarez is the Jean C. Tempel Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the D’Amore-McKim School of Business, Northeastern University. Prior to this, he was at Boston University, where he founded the Strategy and Innovation Department and served as its Chair from 2008 to 2013. He has also worked for the London Business School (UK), MIT Sloan School (USA), Hitotsubashi University (Japan), and Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez and ESE Business School (Chile). He has been active in both institutional and private entrepreneurial activities, having successfully launched an MBA program and a software company. Suarez has also consulted with and served in the Board of Directors of several private sector companies.
- “Familiarity, Creativity, and the Adoption of Category Labels in Technology Industries,” (with Diego Zunino and Stine Grodal), Organization Science, 2018, forthcoming.
- “The Hybrid Trap: What Established Firms Need to Avoid to Survive Industry Transformations, ” (with James Utterback, Paul Von Gruben, and Hye Young Kang), MIT Sloan Management Review, 2018, Spring Issue.
- “Mastering the ‘Name Your Product Category’ Game,” (with Stine Grodal), MIT Sloan Management Review, Winter Issue, p. 23-29, 2015.
- “The Co-Evolution of Technologies and Categories during Industry Emergence” (with Stine Grodal and Aleksis Gotsopoulos), forthcoming, 2014, Academy of Management Review.
- “Services, Industry Evolution and the Competitive Strategies of Product Firms” (with Michael Cusumano & Steve Kahl), accepted 2014, forthcoming, Strategic Management Journal (published online March 2014).
- “Perfect Timing? Dominant Category, Dominant Design and the Window of Opportunity for Firm Entry” (with Stine Grodal and Aleksis Gotsopoulos), Strategic Management Journal, accepted 2013, forthcoming (published online February 2014).
- “Services and the Business Models of Product Firms: An Empirical Analysis of the Software Industry” (with Michael Cusumano & Steve Kahl), Management Science, vol. 59:2, p. 420-435, 2013.