- DBA Finance/Business Policy, Harvard University
- MBA Finance, Amos Tuck School at Dartmouth
- BA Economics, Dartmouth College
- Puffer, S.M., McCarthy, D., & Jaeger, A.M. (2015). Institution building and institutional voids: Can Poland's experience inform Russia and Brazil? International Journal of Emerging Markets.
- Stahl, G., Miska, C., Puffer, S.M., & McCarthy, D. (forthcoming). Responsible global leadership in emerging markets. In J. Osland, M. Li, & M. Mendenhall (Eds.), Advances in Global Leadership. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
- Judge, W. Q., Witt, M. A., Zattoni, A., Talaulicar, T., Chen, J. J., Lewellyn, K., Hu, H. W., Shukla, D., Bell, R. G., Gabrielsson, J., Lopez, F., Yamak, S., Fassin, Y., McCarthy, D., Rivas, J., Fainshmidt, S. & Van Ees, H. (2014). Corporate governance and IPO underpricing in a cross‐national sample: A multilevel knowledge‐based view. Strategic Management Journal.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S. M., Graham, L. R., & Satinsky, D. (2014). Emerging innovation in emerging economies: Can institutional reforms help Russia break through its historical barriers? Thunderbird International Business Review, 56(3), 243-260.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S. M., & Michailova, S. (2013). A critical view of Russia's IPO market: A sign of success or a reason for caution? Critical Perspectives on International Business, 9(1/2), 226-242.
- McCarthy, D., Banalieva, E., Puffer, S.M. (August 2015). Varieties of communism and risk-taking propensity of Russian entrepreneurs. Academy of Management international meetings, Vancouver, Canada.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S.M., Banalieva, E. (April 2015). Entrepreneurship in post-communist transition economies. CYRUS Institute of Knowledge conference, Harvard University.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S.M., Gryaznova, A., and Boltrukevich, V. (February 2015). The evolution of Russian business education: Developing a cross-cultural perspective. 15th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations and the Organization Knowledge Community, Berkeley, CA.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S.M., and Jaeger, A.M. (January 2015). Emerging market growth, 1990-2014: Can Brazil and Russia learn from Poland's experience? The Sixth International Conference on Strategic Management in Latin America, San José, Costa Rica.
- McCarthy, D., Puffer, S.M., Litrell, R., Dorfman, P., et al. (August 2014). Russian leadership: Is it evolving toward more international styles? International Management Division Symposium, Academy of Management international meetings, Philadelphia.
Research & Teaching Interests
McCarthy is teaching mainly in the MS in Innovation program in the areas of Innovation, Business Plans, Strategy, and Corporate Growth. His research is primarily in international business and entrepreneurship with an emphasis on Russia and other emerging markets.
Industry & Academic Experience
McCarthy is the Lead Director of Clean Harbors, Inc., an NYSE listed company for which he has been a Director since 1987. He has also consulted in the US and Europe for more than 40 companies. Early in his career, McCarthy was president and co-founder of Computer Environments Corporation and served as a director on its board, as well as the board of its sister company, Time Share Corporation. He also has served on the boards of a number of private companies and nonprofit organizations.
Services to the Profession
McCarthy is a member of the editorial board of The Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, and was formerly a board member of The Academy of Management Executive, and reviews for more than a dozen journals.
Awards & Recognition
- University Distinguished Professor (2016 to present).
- D'Amore-McKim Distinguished Professor of Global Management and Innovation (2005 to present).
- Walsh Research Professor at D'Amore-McKim School of Business.
- Fellow, Davis Center for Russian Studies, Harvard University (1997 to present).
- Distinguished Alumnus, Dartmouth College's Amos Tuck School of Business Administration (2006).
- Phi Beta Kappa, Alumni Status, Dartmouth College Chapter, Committeee of Faculty and Alumni (2009).