- Wesley, D., Montgomery, S., Barczak, G. (2013). “Apple vs. Samsung: Intellectual Property and the Smartphone Patent Wars”. Ivey Case Series.
- Montgomery, S. (2013). “Representing Clients in the Arts: Five Things Lawyers Should Know.” (vol. January/February 2013) Landslide, Journal of the ABA Intellectual Property Law Section.
- Montgomey, S. (2012). “3Q: What the Apple-Samsung ruling means for design patents.” News@Northeastern.
- Montgomey, S. (2011). “3Q: The ‘arms race’ for patents.” News@Northeastern.
- Montgomey, S. (2011). “3Q: Trademarks in the World Wide Web era.” News@Northeastern.
- Montgomery, Susan (Chair and Organizer), “IP/Innovation Connection: Challenges in Collaborative Innovation,” Northeastern University, Boston, MA (2013).
- Montgomery, Susan (Moderator), “Intellectual Property and Collaborative Innovation,” Northeastern University, Boston, MA (2013).
- Montgomery, Susan (Moderator), Works in Progress, INTA Trademark Symposium, Dallas TX, (2013).
- Montgomery, Susan (Co-chair and Organizer), “IP/Innovation Connection: Exploring the Value of Intellectual Property In Innovation,” Northeastern University, Boston, MA (2012).
- Montgomery, Susan (Moderator), “Developing Innovation Teams with an IP Mindset,” Northeastern University, Boston, MA (2012).
- JD Northeastern University School of Law
- MAE Rhode Island School of Design
- BFA Rhode Island School of Design
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Montgomery’s interests are in the areas of intellectual property (IP) and business transactions, with an emphasis on IP assets, international IP strategies, and business transactions. She also teaches law school courses on trademark law and practice, international IP laws and practice, and business transactions practice.
Industry & Academic Experience
Professor Montgomery is Of Counsel to Foley Hoag LLP, where she continues to advise U.S., foreign and multi-national businesses as she has for over 20 years as a Partner (1995-2008) and Associate (1986-1994). Her experience includes strategic planning for development, exploitation and protection of IP assets; counseling U.S. and foreign companies on domestic and international business transactions, including acquisitions, alliances, licenses and professional services contracts; advising owners, lenders and investors regarding the purchase, sale, collateralization and license of IP assets; managing prosecution and enforcement of international trademark portfolios; advising businesses on activities and disputes related to on-line use of IP, clearance of new marks and IP for innovative products; and advertising, packaging, franchising and trade practices compliance. Her experience includes 18 years as outside general counsel to a company in the business of providing critical path software and implementation services in the U.S. and British aerospace industry. Professor Montgomery is also on the faculty of this university’s School of Law, where her courses include Intellectual Property Transaction Practice and International Intellectual Property Law. She was previously on the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University Law School. She serves on the Advisory Council on Intellectual Property at Franklin Pierce Law Center.
Services to the Profession
Professor Montgomery is a past Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the ABA and member of the Section’s Content Advisory Board. She has served the Section in a variety of leadership positions, including Chair (2006-2007), Officer (2004-present), Council Member (2002-2004) and Content Advisory Board (2006-2008). She served by appointment of the President on the ABA Working Group on UCITA (Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act) (2001-2003) and as Co-Chair of the ABA Joint Task Force on Security Interests in Intellectual Property (1997-1999). She is an Advisor to the American Law Institute (ALI) on the Principles of the Law of Software Contracts project and Advisor to ALI-ABA on Intellectual Property Programming. She is a past member of the boards of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts, Inc. Professor Montgomery also serves as Delegate in the ABA House of Delegates and Trustee on the RISD Board of Trustees.
Awards & Recognition
- “World’s Leading Women in Business Law,” 1st, 2nd & 3rd Editions, Legal Media Group, London, 2010 – 2013
- WTR 1000 Silver ranking, World Trademark Review, London, 2011, 2012 & 2013
- Recognition Award, Boston Patent Law Association (BPLA), Boston, MA 2012