- Stybel, L. J. and Peabody, M. (2015) “The CEO’s Job Remains Yet the Power Structure Shifts: how founder/CEOs and PE Partners Manage the ‘Problem Solved Problem.'” Journal of Leadership and Management. 2, 4, 42-47.
- Stybel, L.J. and Peabody, “Interview Questions Every Change Agent Must Ask.”Harvard Business Review on Point: Leading Change. Winter, 2014, pp. 22-24.
- Stybel, L.J. “Acquisitions as a Political Process: an exploratory analysis of the interaction between CEOs, Boards of Directors, Deal Teams, and Integration Teams. Psychologist Manager Journal, 2013, 10, 2, 94-99.
- Stybel, L. J. and Peabody, M. (2013) “Is It Lonely at the Top? MIT Sloan Management Review, January 2013.
- Stybel, L. J. (2012). Collecting Data for Decisions About Individual or Corporate Transitions: a nine factor model. Psychologist Manager Journal.15(2), 2012. 142-147.
- Stybel, L.J. (2016) “Creating and Expanding Board Options in Your Career,” an invited talk for the national Financial Executives International annual convention.
- Stybel, L.J. (2015) “Creating and Expanding Board Options in Your Career.” An invited talk for alumni at Harvard Business School.
- Stybel, L.J. (2015) “The Dynamics of Family Dominated Boards of Directors in Family Businesses When Dealing with Leadership Succession.” An Invited talk for members of Single Family Offices at the Family Office Association Conference in Puerto Rico.
- Stybel, L.J. (2015) “Solving the ‘Problem Solved Problem:’ helping CEOs and PE Partners Manage Founder Success in Managing PE Dominated Boards of Directors.” An invited talk for the International Executive Resource Group.
- Stybel, L.J. (2013) “Passing on the Work Ethic in Families of Wealth,” a speech given before the Global Conference of the Family Office Association.
- Ed.D., Organization Behavior, Harvard University
- M.A., Community/Clinical Psychology, University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Political Science, The City College of New York
Research & Teaching Interests
Dr. Stybel’s teaching and research interests fall in entrepreneurship and corporate governance. He is a national figure in the field of corporate governance and has a website called Boardoptions.com. He also works on with private equity firms and early stage companies on leadership.
Industry & Academic Experience
He is co-founder and CEO of Stybel Peabody Associates, an Arbora Global Company. Core services include retained search for CEOs, Board members, and CFOs; leadership development/succession planning, and executive outplacement. The company was founded in 1979 and has 500 consultants in 25 U.S. cities and 30 countries.
Services to the Profession
- Co-author of Psychology Today “Platform for Success: the making of great leaders.” This monthly blog has had 199,000 downloads in the past two years.
- Frequently quoted in The Wall Street Journal.
Awards & Recognition
Prior to being a psychologist, I was a professional actor. Appeared Off Broadway and in Dallas. Received the United States Army Best Actor Trophy.