- Appel, I., Farre-Mensa, J., & Simintzi, E. (2018). Patent Trolls and Startup Employment. Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming.
- Farre-Mensa, J. & Ljungqvist, A. (2016). Do Measures of Financial Constraints Measure Financial Constraints? Review of Financial Studies, 29 (2), 271-308.
- Asker, J., Farre-Mensa, J., & Ljungqvist, A. (2015). Corporate Investment and Stock Market Listing: A Puzzle? Review of Financial Studies, 28 (2), 342-390.
- Farre-Mensa, J., Michaely, R., & Schmalz, M. (2014). Payout Policy. Annual Review of Financial Economics, 6, 75-134.
- Ewens, M. & Farre-Mensa, J. (2018). The Deregulation of the Private Equity Market and the Decline in IPOs. WFA Annual Meeting, Coronado CA.
- Appel, I., Farre-Mensa, J., & Simintzi, E. (2017). Patent Trolls and Startup Employment. WFA Annual Meeting, Whistler, Canada.
- Farre-Mensa, J., Michaely, R., & Schmalz, M. (2017). Financing Payouts. AFA Annual Meeting.
- Farre-Mensa, J., Hegde, D., & Ljungqvist, A. (2016). What Is a Patent Worth? Evidence from the U.S. Patent ‘Lottery.’ WFA Annual Meeting, Park City, UT.
- Farre-Mensa, J. (2015). The Benefits of Selective Disclosure: Evidence from Private Firms. SFS Finance Cavalcade, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA.
- PhD, Economics, New York University
- MPhil, Economics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- BA, Mathematics, Universitat de Barcelona
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Farre-Mensa has teaching and research interests in corporate and entrepreneurial finance. He is particularly interested in understanding how a firm’s listing status affects its financing environment and its real and financial policies.
Industry & Academic Experience
Prior to joining the Northeastern faculty in September 2018, Professor Farre-Mensa worked for just over a year as a Senior Economist at Cornerstone Research, an economic and litigation consulting firm. Before that, Professor Farre-Mensa was as an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School for six years.
Services to the Profession
Professor Farre-Mensa has served as an ad-hoc referee at the leading finance and economics journals, including the Journal of Finance, the Review of Financial Studies, the Journal of Financial Economics, the American Economic Review,and the Review of Economic Studies. He has also served on the program committee of the top finance conferences (WFA, SFS Cavalcade, EFA) and as a session chair at the AFA Annual Meeting.