- Young, G.J., Flaherty, S., Zepeda, E.D., Singh, S., Cramer, G. 2018. “Provision of Community Benefits by Tax-Exempt Hospitals in the Post ACA Era.” Health Affairs, 37(1): 121-124.
- Zepeda, E.D., Nyaga, G.N., G.J. Young. 2016. “Supply Chain Risk Management and Hospital Inventory: Effects of System Affiliation”, Journal of Operations Management 44: 30-47.
- Young, G.J., Nyaga, G.N., E.D. Zepeda. 2016. “Hospital Employment of Physicians and Supply Chain Performance: An Empirical Investigation”, Health Care Management Review 41(3): 244-255.
- Zepeda, E.D., K.K. Sinha. 2016. “Towards an Effective Design of Behavioral Health Care Delivery: An Empirical Analysis of Care for Depression”, Production and Operations Management 25(5): 952-967.
- Nyaga, G.N., Young, G.J., E.D. Zepeda. 2015. “An Analysis of the Effects of Intra- and Inter-Organizational Arrangements on Hospital Supply Chain Efficiency”, Journal of Business Logistics 36(4): 340-354.
- Zepeda, David (Presenter & Author), “On the Relations between Operational Focus, Operating Experience, and Operational Performance: Evidence from Patient Discharges in Cardiology Operating Units” (Invited), presented at INFORMS Annual Meeting, Houston, TX. (October 23, 2017)
- Zepeda, David (Presenter & Author), “The Effect of Hospital-Physician Integration on Operational Performance: Evaluating Physician Employment in Cardiology Operating Units” (Invited), presented at the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. (May 5, 2017)
- Zepeda, David (Presenter & Author), “Health Care Supply Chain and Operations: A Research Agenda” (Invited), presented at Durgadevi Saraf Institute of Management Studies (DSIMS), National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), and S.P. Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai, India. (April 29 & May 2, 2016)
- Zepeda, David (Presenter & Author), Production and Operations Management (POM) Special Issue Conference on “Patient-Centric Healthcare Management in the Age of Analytics” (Refereed), “IT-Leveraging Capability for Reducing Health Care Disparities: An Empirical Analysis of Primary Care Operations,” Kelley School of Business, Bloomington, IN. (October 10, 2015)
- Zepeda, David (Presenter & Author), Production and Operations Management (POM) Special Issue Conference on “Patient-Centric Healthcare Management in the Age of Analytics” (Refereed), “Patient-Centered Care: Linking Digital Data Management and Meaningful Communication between Healthcare Providers and Patients,” Kelley School of Business, Bloomington, IN. (October 9, 2015)
- PhD in Supply Chain and Operations, University of Minnesota
- MS in Statistics, University of Minnesota
- MBA in Operations Management, University of Tulsa
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Milwaukee School of Engineering
Research & Teaching Interests
Professor Zepeda’s scholarship is motivated by the problem of healthcare costs continuing to outpace economic growth with decreasing returns on the improvement of health for certain segments of the population. He deliberately adopts an interdisciplinary lens to address consequential issues that span across levels of analysis.
Industry & Academic Experience
Professor Zepeda has over 10 years of experience in the industrial automation and newspaper industries holding various positions in engineering and management as well as consulting. Through his research, teaching, and industry experience, Professor Zepeda has worked with a variety of companies including: Hennepin County Medical Center, ABB, Maschinenfabrik WIFAG AG, World Publishing Co., Oklahoma Offset Inc., and Dow Jones and Company.
Services to the Profession
Professor Zepeda is a member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) and the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS). He is on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Operations Management. He is the current VP of Meetings of the College of Healthcare Operations Management of POMS. He has served as a board member for the Health Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
Awards & Recognition
- Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting Best Paper proceedings (2018).
- Participant at the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) for research interest in anxiety disorders and depression in La Jolla, California (2013).
- 2nd Place Best Paper Award at the POMS College of Healthcare Operations Management Track (2012).
- Richard A. Freund International Scholarship from the American Society for Quality (ASQ) (2011).